We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Different father recorded for each marriage

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
ManonChirgwin

Different father recorded for each marriage

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with one specific ancestor which means i can't move forward (or backwards i guess :lol: ) on her line. The trouble is, on her marriage certificates there is a different surname for her father on both (she's an ancestor through marriage - the familial link is the second husband which is why i don't know her father's name).

The first marriage was in 1868 to John Urion and her father was Thomas Roberts
The second marriage was in 1871 to Thomas Jones and her father was Thomas Morris

Even with this mystery I'm fairly sure its the right Emma for my tree with seeing the census records.

I would be so grateful to anyone who can give some advice on figuring out which father is the right one
Mick Loney

Re: Different father recorded for each marriage

Post by Mick Loney »

Working back from what you know, I found widow Emma Urion in 1871, with her two children Sarah Ellen Urion, and Mary Elizabeth Urion, whose biths registration states their mothers maiden name was Roberts (so we have correct Emma)

1871 Emma states she is from Hengoed (just North of Oswestry) and born around 1843

The only birth registered for Emma Roberts in Oswestry between 1841-1845, was 1844 Q2 Oswestry ref 18-149, where mothers maiden name is Cullis

A Christening of ths Emma Roberts took place ion 12 May 1844 at Weston Rhyn (a mile north of Hengoed), to parents Hugh Roberts & wife Mary

In 1841, 1851 & 1861, Emma is with Hugh & Mary, at Gledrid, Weston Rhyn (1841-1851) and Birkenhead (1861)
Hugh states he is from St Martin, Shropshire, and Mary is from Launceston Cornwall (1851) and Cornwall (1861)

NB Although in 1861 Mary's birthplace looks like Stoke Newington, Cornwall, I think this is where their son william was born, and his entry was spilt over onto Mary's entry.

Hugh Roberts and Mary Cullis/Collis Married 2 April 1828 at Stoke Climsland, Cornwall, (just south of Launceston)

All the above seem to tie together nicely, but doesn't explain why emma's father's name differred on her marriages. Just one of those things you may have to live with. At least you now know her ancestry :D
EDITED There are 2 Emma Roberts marrying in 1868,
1) to John Urion (no parish entry available)
2) to Owen harris (Parish entry available, which shows her Father is Edward Roberts, so not your Emma)
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Mick Loney wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 16:30 In 1841, 1851 & 1861, Emma is with Hugh & Mary, at Gledrid, Weston Rhyn (1841-1851) and Birkenhead (1861)

All the above seem to tie together nicely, but doesn't explain why emma's father's name differred on her marriages.
But why, if Emma was the daughter of Hugh Roberts, and was still living at home with him years later (in Birkenhead to boot), would she say her father was Thomas Roberts, and then Thomas Morris?

16 Feb 1863, Birkenhead
Rowland Owen
+
Mary Roberts, 19, Spinster, residence 10 St Mary's Gate, father Hugh Roberts, Ostler
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Y-6QQ7-WV8

That's the same address the Roberts family were living at in 1861, with Hugh Roberts a Horsekeeper
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -P3NF-C2L6
Last edited by jonwarrn on 06 Jul 2021, 12:35, edited 2 times in total.
avaline

Post by avaline »

I suspect that neither father is correct and that Emma may have been illegitimate.

In later census she says she was born Whittington, so I think this is her in 1851 at Penrhoss Arms, Whittington - HO107/1993/658/12
Richard Morris 62 Ag Lab b Whittington
Mary Morris 66 wife b Felton, Shropshire
Emma Morris 7 Granddaughter b Whittington

She is still with them in 1861 - RG09/1880/54/3

Birth Registration: MORRIS, EMMA (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1844 M Quarter in OSWESTRY Volume 18 Page 165

Thomas Roberts may have been the name of a stepfather or other relative.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Could be.
There's also an Emma Roberts, 19, born Hengoed, a servant in Berghill in 1861.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Benjamin Chadwick
+
Emma Morris
6 Dec 1866, Biddulph St Lawrence
No father indexed for Emma.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLQC-4TSZ

By licence!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLQY-1Y1X

Emma Chadwick is 27, born Shropshire Whittington in the 1871 census. Husband Benjamin. Two daughters (mmn Roberts)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5RP-YC1

Emma Chadwick, 37, born Whittington, in 1881.

So that's another candidate for the Emma Morris in Whittington in 1851 and 1861.

As far as I can see, "our" Emma is usually born either Selattyn, or Hengoed, in the census.
Hengoed was a chapelry in Selattyn.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Selattyn
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

ManonChirgwin wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 13:06 The first marriage was in 1868 to John Urion and her father was Thomas Roberts
The second marriage was in 1871 to Thomas Jones and her father was Thomas Morris
If you could give the full details of these marriages it might help.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Sadly manonchirgwin (the OP) seems to have only given us half the story i.e how did they arrive at the marriage of Emma Roberts to John Urion? My answer was based on the fact OP knew her name was Emma Roberts, and was just trying to find her correct father. Where did the other candidates for her father originate?

If OP could let us know the steps they took to arrive at the conclusion the bride of John Urion was their relative, we’d all be in a better position to help, and not all floundering in the dark. :D

All the evidence points to the fact that the bride of John Urion was Emma Roberts, daughter of Hugh Roberts and Mary Sullis. If that disagrees with OP, then OP has got their facts wrong somewhere, and it wasn’t their Emma that married John Urion!
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Hi,

I'm really sorry I've not answered sooner, I hadn't realised the post had had approval and was live.

Another relative did most of the work on this but the links makes sense except for the father's name.

So we've got both marriage certificates and starting with the second in 1871 which is the marraige to Thomas Jones (his details from the certificate match), she's listed as Emma Urion and is a widow (marriage in Oswestry, both living in Gobowen and her father was a farmer). This links with the 1871 census where widow Emma Urion is living with a lodger Thomas Jones.

The first marriage then in 1868 to John Urion was in Oswestry and her father listed as a farmer.

Knowing that she's Emma Urion, using FreeBMD for a quick search between 1840 and 1870 for an Emma and a Urion (I went really wide just in case) there is only 2 marriages John or Charles.

Looking at the birth certificate for one of Thomas and Emma's children (the son that carried on down my branch of the tree) the father is Thomas Jones and the mother is Emma Jones late Urion formerly Roberts). So you'd think it must be Roberts but why on earth did they write Morris for her father on the second record. Unless its just a mistake by whoever was doing the writing and they weren't concentrating.

Logic says to keep going with Roberts but there's always that niggling question :lol:
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Hi
Thanks for the info.
Did Emma sign on those two marriages? Presumably she did, since she seems to have signed the household schedule in 1911. Though I wonder if the rest of it was written out by someone else?
I ask because the 17 year old Emma Morris in Whittington in 1861 who was mentioned earlier was a pupil teacher.

I see there are two different sets of online trees claiming that particular Emma Morris, one saying she married John Urion and Thomas Jones, the other that she married Benjamin Chadwick (as I posted as an alternative). A Chadwick tree has a birthdate for her, 16 Jan 1844, in Whittington, a mother, Susannah, and says she died in 1883.
I tend to think that Chadwick is more likely.

I don't think Emma is daughter of Hugh and Mary Roberts, because if that one has been traced by Mick to Birkenhead in 1861, then she married there in 1863.

There might have been a mistake made on the second marriage, if so, you would be looking purely for an Emma daughter of Thomas Roberts, a farmer (though his occupation may have been bumped up on the certificate/s)

It's a knotty problem (I mean I can't solve it!)
In 1881 in Whittington, Thomas and Emma Jones are living in the next cottage to a widowed Elizabeth Morris, 62, Cheese Dealer.
And in 1891, same place, the next schedule to the Jones, so in close proximity, is Thomas Morris, 72, Wheelwright, born Whittington, his wife Mary, and the family of their daughter Jane (Brown)

Morris is a very common name in those parts, but for want of any other ideas, I have attempted a quick look at that Thomas Morris, even though he was not a farmer. Almost certainly a red herring!
His age is usually a few years younger than in 1891, he seems to have married Mary Conde, 6 Feb 1855, Selattyn. Father Thomas Morris
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKCN-G5P

In 1861, Thomas, Mary, son Charles, are in Hengoed, Daywell (Thomas a carpenter)
1871 Thomas is 48 and a visitor in Oswestry
Whilst wife Mary and family are in Hengoed, Daywell (the widowed Emma Urion not too far away)
1881 Thomas and Mary Morris are in Whittington, two census pages after your Jones family.
They both still seem to be alive in 1901.

Going back, more difficult
All I can see in 1851 is Thomas Morris, 29, born Whittington, a publican in Selattyn. Wife Catherine, 28, one son, Thomas, age 2½.
Transcribed as Marris on ancestry.
Says that Catherine and Thomas junior were born Glyn, Denbighshire

A baptism at Pontfadog, near Glyn Ceiriog, 22 Oct 1848
Thomas John
Son of Thomas and Catherine Morris
Father a Wheelwright

But I can't see what might have happened to Catherine and young Thomas, nor do I know the marital status of the Thomas who married Mary in 1855.

I did look at one in 1841 (may be a different Thomas!), age 15, in Selattyn, at a farm (of John Jones) at Pentreclawdd, close to Hengoed. There may be a couple of Roberts female servants in the household. But not all ages have not been rounded down by the enumerator, including in that household. So he could be too young.