We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Henry REEVE - Norfolk mid-1700s

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
paulr1949

Henry REEVE - Norfolk mid-1700s

Post by paulr1949 »

Can anyone help me get further back with this branch of my family?
Thomas REEVE was the first living child of Henry REEVE and Mary (maiden name unknown), born in 1758 (possibly very late 1757) in Bawburgh, Norfolk, and baptised there on 8th January. Two children died (Thomas 1756-1756 and Martha 1757-1757). I cannot find a convincing marriage record. There is one for a Henry Reeve and Mary Huby, but its in 1742 in Norwich and the first child was born in 1756 (the last that I know of in 1773), so I do not think this is the correct couple.
I have scoured the Norfolk records and not found anything more. Can a fresh pair of eyes assist?
Any information gratefully received!

Paul
Paul
DownTheGarden

Re: Henry REEVE - Norfolk mid-1700s

Post by DownTheGarden »

One thing I apply when failing to find a plausible record is Where would I expect to see it? What is the state is the record in? So first quick check ( on FindMyPast) in the parish for marriages (any marriages) in the year or two before the first child you have identified. They seem to start up in 1755 - I notice the parish acquired themselves a shiny new banns and marriage register that year and as the entries are numbered can see there does not appear to be anything matter with the first few pages. The previous register has a typed slip looks to have been inserted by an archivist which indicates it holds 3 tranches of marriages the last being for 1724-1750 so immediately you have 5 missing years of records just where you expect your missing marriage to be.
I know nothing of Norfolk but can see the village does not merit many entries per year - I have similar in rural east yorkshire where vicars were thin on the ground often missing completely or covering more than one parish.
One of the really useful things about digitisation is it often pulls out records which have been squeezed out of sequence but would be worth your while examining the general register so you can work out what was going on at that date - changes of handwriting give clue to new or temporary incumbent.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Always worth a look in the FamilySearch Catalogue for the place. Try https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog, enter Bawburgh and see what you get. The description of the parish registers does appear to have that gap referred to above. However, there are also Archdeacon's Transcripts for Bawburgh that, at first glance, partly fill in the gap - they can be seen on https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library - note that you need to register for a FamilySearch account to access the images. Don't worry it's free...

If you page through the images - there aren't many and there are lots of years with no marriages at that time. According to Google Maps, it's only 5 to 6 miles from Norwich, so I wonder if they did go for a day out in the big city to get married?
Adrian Bruce
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Thanks all
I have seen the familysearch images, and those on find my past. I will go through the archdeacons transcripts and the BTs again. I've also spent two days in NRO (although looking for other things as well). He is certainly not indexed on FMP. He's not in the Norfolk FHS database either :roll:
Paul
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

I have spent some time this evening going through all the record images available on Find my Past.
BT's - no records for Bawburgh before 1776
AT's - no marriage records between January 1753 and 1760
PR's - One page in the register has 8 marriages between 1729 and 1750 inclusive, none then until 4 June 1755.
So it very much looks as though, if they married in Bawburgh, I am not going to find anything.
Ho Hum - back to the drawing board.
Paul