We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WW1 service record questions

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

WW1 service record questions

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi, I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer:

*why would an English national sign up for the Canadian Expeditionary Force in London in 1915?

*according to the standard service card next of kin was given but the relationship was R.N.S. - any ideas what that suggests? The new recruit was 23 and had served a year in the navy and shared a surname with the next of kin - I thought it indicated his father but maybe another male relative?

Thanks
Mick Loney

Re: WW1 service record questions

Post by Mick Loney »

At a complete guess, Relationship Not Stated. Seems to fit the scenario.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Duh, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks :lol:
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:42 ... *why would an English national sign up for the Canadian Expeditionary Force in London in 1915? ...
Hmm. Firstly note that the step isn't as big as we might think because Canadians were all British subjects at that point (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... _Act,_1946 )

On that basis, although I've never seen it myself, it just becomes a bigger version of someone from Cheshire joining the Shropshire Light Infantry. Presumably, he (and/or his friends) knew someone already in the CEF? Maybe friends who had emigrated to Canada, and joined up out there? That would be my guess.

But, having said all that, I am puzzled that the CEF would go to the trouble of recruiting overseas - unless they were topping up numbers?

Adrian

PS - I'd agree with "Relationship Not Stated" - but note that I'm agreeing that it's a good suggestion, not saying I know that's the answer.
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Did he definitely enlist in London (England), or could it have been London, Ontario? What CEF regiment did he enlist with?

My friend has a 2 x great-uncle from Blackburn who emigrated to the USA in 1910. During WW1 he enlisted with the CEF...in London, Ontario.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

(Hopefully) I've attached his service card because it is the clearest copy, I have the original enlistment papers but they are poor copies. The suggestion is London, England and he enlists into the 33rd Battalion of the Canadian overseas expeditionary force.
Attachments
keeting service card.jpg
keeting service card.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 923 times
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

The 33rd Battalion recruited and was mobilized in London, Ontario.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I guess the absence of England with the second London would be the key. Thanks, Mo.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Oh that "London" is so annoying... You have my sympathy - they're all explicitly "London, England" so what else would you imagine "London" to be from that context? :?
Adrian Bruce
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

It does say that Henry enlisted London, Ont. further on in his records. Image 557. Plus some addresses. Haven't gone through all the images
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui- ... 932806fb8a

And probably also on the other side of his attestation paper (also on ancestry)
https://recherche-collection-search.bac ... ng%20henry