We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Wills on GOV.UK

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Sheila

Wills on GOV.UK

Post by Sheila »

I just ordered a will on GOV.UK website and it came through immediately!
It was a fairly recent one, for 2008. I ordered a couple of similar ones a few weeks ago and they arrived promptly but not on the click of the mouse!
PatsyAlice

Re: Wills on GOV.UK

Post by PatsyAlice »

I think more recent ones do come straight away. I think they are amazing value - I think they used to be more expensive which is why I haven't got them before. I have recently been sending for all the wills for my family. They don't come straight away but I ordered one this morning and it came this afternoon which is still pretty good.
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

I believe that recent wills have been scanned on receipt and stored digitally for some years, so if you order one of those you will usually receive it very quickly.

Older/historic wills that have never been requested before have to be retrieved from storage and scanned when someone orders a copy, so take longer.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

AntonyM wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 09:45 I believe that recent wills have been scanned on receipt and stored digitally for some years, so if you order one of those you will usually receive it very quickly.

Older/historic wills that have never been requested before have to be retrieved from storage and scanned when someone orders a copy, so take longer.
Thank you. Yes I was impressed at how quickly it arrived. Great service. I wish searching the site for older wills was as impressive!