We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Catholic baptism

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Jimbo50

Re: Catholic baptism

Post by Jimbo50 »

Sorry I can't look. Couldn't death be between 1931 and 1950. We don't know how long the connection process took to complete through the church. it could also be one of their children, or their marriage. There would still be no certainty though, even if you found something. Cheers. Jim
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

On FMP there's a 1902 record for a Charles Wilson in the Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Congregational Records collection. I'm unable to view the record as I don't have a sub. Just wanted to mention it, though.

Sheila - Have you done any research into George Archibald? Do you think he could be the "G Archibald" (nephew) informant on Nora's death cert?
As regards the 1928 marriage, was it a Catholic ceremony? Did Nora marry using surname Healy or Wilson?

Question for clarity: Are you related to Nora, George, or Charles Wilson?
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

VALLMO9 wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 16:26 On FMP there's a 1902 record for a Charles Wilson in the Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Congregational Records collection. I'm unable to view the record as I don't have a sub. Just wanted to mention it, though.

Sheila - Have you done any research into George Archibald? Do you think he could be the "G Archibald" (nephew) informant on Nora's death cert?
As regards the 1928 marriage, was it a Catholic ceremony? Did Nora marry using surname Healy or Wilson?

Question for clarity: Are you related to Nora, George, or Charles Wilson?
I have looked at the Scotland Roman Catholic Congregational Record for Charles Wilson in 1902. It appears to be a confirmation record. Apart from his name, the only other information given is that of a 'Patron' named as John.

I'm not certain that the initial for the informant on Nora's death is a 'G' but it could be, and if so, I suspect it is George saying he is Nora's nephew.

The 1928 marriage was not a Catholic ceremony. It was held at 64 Canongate, Edinburgh. This appears to be the address of Queensbury House, quite an impressive building. Both George and Nora gave their usual residence as 271 Canongate. Nora was recorded as a spinster and used her maiden name of Healy. One of the witnesses appears to be her son, Gerald Wilson (whose birth was registered as Gerald Healy). He was born in 1902 so would have been aged about 26.

I am not related to any of the people involved. I offered to help a cousin who lives in Australia. She is distantly related by marriage to Nora.
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

271 Canongate seems to be a church. 'The building comprises a C-listed, former church dating back to 1869'.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Jimbo50 wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 02:35 271 Canongate seems to be a church. 'The building comprises a C-listed, former church dating back to 1869'.
I was puzzled by this address too. Perhaps the buildings have been renumbered over the years?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

It appears to be a property a century ago. If you do a newspaper search for 271 Canongate (Edinburgh) you'll see there are a couple of mentions for this address in 1927 and 1928. One report refers to a child neglect case in May 1928. There's also a Feb 1927 death notice.

Earlier in 1903: 271 Canongate is listed as the mother's address in a Sheriff Court Paternity Decree.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

VALLMO9 wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 17:53 It appears to be a property a century ago. If you do a newspaper search for 271 Canongate (Edinburgh) you'll see there are a couple of mentions for this address in 1927 and 1928. One report refers to a child neglect case in May 1928. There's also a Feb 1927 death notice.

Earlier in 1903: 271 Canongate is listed as the mother's address in a Sheriff Court Paternity Decree.
That address does seem to be residential in the past, thank you.

One further piece of information in this story - according to his death certificate George Archibald was single. If George and Nora had been divorced, I think this would have been recorded on his death record.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sheila wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 19:57 The 1928 marriage was not a Catholic ceremony.
They must've had a Catholic ceremony, as well? After all, Nora's baptism record is annotated with the marriage details to George Archibald.
It's a Catholic custom to send marriage notification to the baptism churches of the parties concerned, so that the baptism records can be updated with the marriage details.

Have you found George Archibald's baptism record - hopefully with the same 1928 marriage annotation?
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I can not find any baptism record for George Archibald nor for any of his siblings. I have presumed he was not Catholic.

I have looked into George's birth family. Both his parents had died before he was 10 years old. Several siblings died as infants. One brother survived childhood but was killed in a work accident in 1920 aged 27 when George would have been 18.

A year later, in 1921, George is living with Nora and her 'husband' Charles Wilson and their son Gerald who was a similar age to George. Gerald and George were recorded as working at the same place.

These have been an interesting family to research but, as I am not related to any of them (and I am using a lot of credits on Scotlands People!) I will put them aside for now.

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions - much appreciated.
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Sorry to raise this again. The church doesn't appear to have been renumbered, but just behind it in the same grounds is another building by the same builder, Robert Paterson and Son, 1877-8. This now has the address 2 Cranston Street which was a hostel.
H.E.S. has the building's C listing records , they state - '...carved shield above (door) reads 'Canongate Christian Institute 1878'
A planning application also records-
No. 271 Canongate .. and no. 2 Cranston Street which operated as a women's hostel both lie close to the boundary of the
site.
So could all this and the other newspaper entries be concerning people within the hostel ? Was Nora a hosteller ?
Apologies again but I'm intrigued.