We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Catholic baptism

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Catholic baptism

Post by VALLMO9 »

I don't have a FMP subscription. I can see the transcript only (with no marginal notes included).
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 03 Apr 2023, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

It seems to say something like "opra matriminum untranit cum georgi archibald in eccl in S patricii edinburgh" which google translate - works of marriage with George Archibald in the church in St. Patrick's Edinburgh. I am afraid I have no Latin and the writing is poorly formed. I hope this helps.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Many thanks, that's a great help PatsyAlice.

Nora definitely married George, but not in 1950. I still don't understand about the date. Perhaps that was when the note was added to the baptism record I wonder?
Last edited by Sheila on 01 Apr 2023, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I have tried to make the note added to the image a bit larger.

As PatsyAlice has suggested, the note added to the baptism record seems to refer to the marriage of Nora, the child who was baptised, to a George Archibald.

The marriage took place in Edinburgh in 1928 so I can't see the significance of the date 25 Aug 1950.
Attachments
Nora 2.jpg
Nora 2.jpg (231.35 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

More information has come to light concerning the marriage referred to in the note added to this baptism record. Other relationships were involved and also illegitimate children.

It seems the marriage may actually have been annulled. Possibly this accounts for the 1950 date.
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

It is a shame no Latin scholars have responded. I really don't know what the first word says but if you add the words one at a time to google translate it says 'Opra' annoints marriages for the first three words. This changes as subsequent words are added. I don't think the first word is right but the only person I know who might be able to help is away on holiday. These sort of notes are always a struggle to make sense of (I transcribe for FreeReg so have seen plenty of them)
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

It is a shame no Latin scholars have responded. I really don't know what the first word says but if you add the words one at a time to google translate it says 'Opra' annoints marriages for the first three words. This changes as subsequent words are added. I don't think the first word is right but the only person I know who might be able to help is away on holiday. These sort of notes are always a struggle to make sense of (I transcribe for FreeReg so have seen plenty of them)
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Yes, assistance from a Latin scholar would be good, especially for that first word in the note added to the baptism record.

Many thanks for replies so far, very helpful.
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

At school, I had a terrible struggle with Latin....so.... Google translate using your reading, changing one word - untranit
(I think all the following could also be that word) says;

Using Instasint instead of untranit
The works of marriage were insisted upon by George Archibald in the church of St. Patrick, Edinburgh

Using Instrasint
The works of marriage were laid with George Archibald in the church of St. Patrick, Edinburgh

using initrasint
the works of marriage entered with George Archibald in the church of St. Patrick, Edinburgh
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Thank you, Jimbo50, very interesting to see the differences by changing that one word.