We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Catholic baptism

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Jimbo50

Re: Catholic baptism

Post by Jimbo50 »

Re; 'More information has come to light concerning the marriage referred to in the note added to this baptism record. Other relationships were involved and also illegitimate children.
It seems the marriage may actually have been annulled. Possibly this accounts for the 1950 date.'

Having read through now, and absorbed all. The word is possibly maluminum, i.e. they entered into the works of evil with .... ? ? ?

As a person to whom these things don't matter at all, I find this statement very confrontational. What happened to 'forgiveness' in the catholic church.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Thanks again. That’s very interesting.
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

That is interesting and I can see that might be what that word is. I have always said it is much easier to read something when you know what it should say and obviously with google translate if you don't put the right words in you don't get the right result. I only use it to get the gist of what something might say.
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

This type of annotation in Catholic baptisms usually links to a later marriage, but as that took place in 1928, this appears to be something else.

It could say maluminum, which would come from malum , meaning evil, but can also be "misfortune".

The next word could be untrasiit = "uncrossed"

So It could be referring to an unfortunate divorce/annulment I suppose ? ....but not sure, not really my area of expertise.

Latin used in church records can be very imprecise as priests were not always very good Latin scholars themselves
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Thank you AntonyM.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sheila - Have you checked Nora Maud's siblings' baptism records for marriage annotation notes (and dates, if any)?
Also, check the husband's baptism record image (if available). See if his has the same annotation as Nora Maud's record.

Did Nora Maud marry before 1928? Seems a bit old (age 47) for her to marry, if that was her only marriage.

For clarity: "From 1908 Catholics also had to have their place of marriage inserted with their original baptism entry, so this can affect registers in the second half of the 19th century". Sounds like its a Catholic custom to send marriage notification to the baptism churches of the parties concerned, so that the baptism records can be updated with the marriage details.

Suggestion: try searching for baptism record images either side of Nora Maud's circa 1881. These would be the Plymouth, Cathedral Church of Ss Mary & Boniface baptisms. Perhaps those baptism images have similar marriage annotations and dates (for comparison). Might be worth checking.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 03 Apr 2023, 19:08, edited 8 times in total.
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Sheila wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 09:58 More information has come to light concerning the marriage referred to in the note added to this baptism record. Other relationships were involved and also illegitimate children.

It seems the marriage may actually have been annulled. Possibly this accounts for the 1950 date.
Hi Sheila. What was the info mentioned above ? Was any in the 1950 era ? If the marriage was annulled, what was the reason given.?
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

VALLMO9 wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 16:29 Sheila - Have you checked Nora Maud's siblings' baptism records for marriage annotation notes (and dates, if any)?
Also, check the husband's baptism record image (if available). See if his has the same annotation as Nora Maud's record.

Did Nora Maud marry before 1928? Seems a bit old (age 47) for her to marry, if that was her only marriage.

Suggestion: try searching for baptism record images either side of Nora Maud's circa 1881. These would be the Plymouth, Cathedral Church of Ss Mary & Boniface baptisms. Perhaps those baptism images have similar marriage annotations and dates (for comparison). Might be worth checking.
Thanks VALLMO9 for some great suggestions. I will check them out.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Jimbo50 wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 16:37
Sheila wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 09:58 More information has come to light concerning the marriage referred to in the note added to this baptism record. Other relationships were involved and also illegitimate children.

It seems the marriage may actually have been annulled. Possibly this accounts for the 1950 date.
Hi Sheila. What was the info mentioned above ? Was any in the 1950 era ? If the marriage was annulled, what was the reason given.?
I haven't been able to find anything relating to the year 1950 as yet and have no proof that the marriage was annulled. However, Nora was living as the wife of another man in 1911 and 1921, although no marriage record can be found. In the 1931 Electoral Register she appears to be living still as this man's wife, using his surname whilst George Archibald is also registered at the same address. Nora and George definitely went through a marriage ceremony in 1928.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

VALLMO9 wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 16:29 Sheila - Have you checked Nora Maud's siblings' baptism records for marriage annotation notes (and dates, if any)?

Several of Nora's siblings have baptism records on FMP. None have any additional notes added.