We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Help with a brick wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Re: Help with a brick wall

Post by meekhcs »

I have also found the following on the Electoral Rolls for London
1933 William, Ellen and Jane were living at 25 Hillcrest Avenue Hendon
1936 William and Ellen were living at 22 St Stephen's Road Paddington
1937 William Ellen and Jane were living at the same address as 1937
1938 William Ellen and Jane were living at 21 St Stephens Gardens Paddington.

So they were certainly living together for part of the time. Perhaps one of the addresses will give you a lead.

In 1935 there is a Jane Morris living at Flat 3 26 Campden Hill Gardens, less than a mile from where William and Ellen are living in Queensdale Road. Also in Flat 3 is Seward Geoffrey Solman

All these dwellings were of multiple occupancy
Sally
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

1935, Seward Geoffrey Solman is at Flat 3 26 Campden Hill Gardens, so is Jane.
1933 - 1937 Jane is not with her parents.
Are you able to put a rough date as to when Jane's son visited your great uncle ?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Seward Geoffrey Sloman marries in 1936 but sadly not to Jane Morris! His bride was Nora Carter, but his address was still Flat 3 as the previous year.
Sally
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Oh wow meekhcs and Jimbo50, this is amazing, thank you so much for finding these. I've seen them on Ancestry but the electoral rolls are a resource I haven't used much and need to get used to and use more.

Unfortunately, I don't know when he visited my great uncle. I need to talk to my great aunt again and see if i can jog some more information out of her but unfortunately I think that Jane/her brother/the parents are a part of the family they didn't see much/do much with so the information just isn't there. Including where William and Ellen are buried 🙈

Again, thank you all so much, the brick wall is slowly chipping away
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Mick Loney wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 18:51
VALLMO9 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 16:37 Less is more.
That’s certainly true for ancestry ( or was it FMP?) and the Wiltshire baptisms. Put in the Parish, and no results! Leave it as Wiltshire, et voila, results. I came to the conclusion their indexes don’t include the Parish, just the County. You couldn’t make it up :lol:
My suggestion above relates to newspaper searching. Obviously it's my personal opinion, but it works quite well with my BNA searches.