We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Help with a brick wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
ManonChirgwin

Help with a brick wall

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Hi,

I’ve hit a brick wall with one of my ancestors and I’m hoping someone here can suggest any help as I’m completely stuck now.

The ancestor is Jane Morris
Born: 9th November 1905 in Machynlleth to William Davies Morris and Ellen (Cudworth) and baptised on the 12th of December

1911: She was living at home with the whole family in Machynlleth

1921: Again at home with all the family in Machynlleth

1939: I don’t know where Jane is but I know she isn’t living with her brother & parents

And that is all I’ve got from official documents.

There are only 2 family stories I know for Jane. First is that my great aunt thinks Jane went to live in London and at some point her parents were down there with her. She had a business but went through all her parents’ money which is why they were back with their son in 1939. Again this might be completely wrong because its anecdotal but a 1935 electoral roll for Kensington does seem to show William and Ellen living there so might show there is some truth to the story.

Secondly, she told me that she and her sister in law got home one day and her brother said ‘you’ll never guess who came round today’ it was Jane’s son. Unfortunately that is all she remembers and the brother in question passed away a few years ago. But it does let me know Jane had a life, I just can’t find it!

I would appreciate any help even if its just a suggestion at a new record set to look at as I’m getting nowhere fast with this one.
KayFarndon

Re: Help with a brick wall

Post by KayFarndon »

As you have not had any response to your message I thought I would give you my suggestions, although you may have done them.

Have you looked for a marriage for Jane, the birth of her son, or her death? There would be clues I am sure that you could follow up. Let us know how you get on please.
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Re; ''1935 electoral roll for Kensington does seem to show William and Ellen living there''.
Anyone else in the household ? Was Jane there and what was the address ?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I'd also check for Jane in the 1939 Register -- using just her first name and DOB.
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Hi, thank you all for your replies and I’m sorry I haven’t replied sooner.

@KayFarndon I’ve tried looking for Jane Morris getting married but without knowing her married surname it’s a bit of a needle in a haystack with such a common name 🙈

@Jimbo they are listed as 58 Queensdale Road Kensington. If I’m reading the image correctly are other people at 58 but no names I recognise and the only Jane is a Mary Jane Trevor but my Jane had no other names. Without further research I assume it was a house with multiple families. Although is an assumption i need to check into to prove one way or another.

@VALLM09 thank you for your suggestion, I don’t know why but I didn’t think to try that combination, so obvious now you’ve suggested it.

Again thank you all for your suggestions. Since posting my question I’ve searched the bmd index for all William Morris deaths and worked my way through them for age and middle initial ‘D’, leaving me 5 possibilities. Two look like they have wills in the probate calendar disproving them so it’s just a case of budgeting for certificates now (and dreaming of when there’ll be more parish records on ancestry/find my past!)
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

West London newspapers at the time mentioned 58 Queensdale Road in the classified ads. Usually described as rooms to let, etc. You can see the various ads on the BNA website. TIP: Put the address in quotes ("58 Queensdale Road") rather than tick the Exact Search box, Doing so will result in 27 search results (rather than 500+).
Also search for the family and their various addresses on the BNA, if you haven't already done so. They may be mentioned in a newspaper report(s), which may yield a vital clue or two. I'd search for names and addresses separately. Less is more.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

VALLMO9 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 16:37 Less is more.
That’s certainly true for ancestry ( or was it FMP?) and the Wiltshire baptisms. Put in the Parish, and no results! Leave it as Wiltshire, et voila, results. I came to the conclusion their indexes don’t include the Parish, just the County. You couldn’t make it up :lol:
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Thank you VALLMO9 I thought it would be something like that and I’ll have a look at the ads, even if just out of pure curiosity. Luckily there are only 27 results from your 1939 suggestion so it’s given me a few names to focus on for a bit (despite none jumping as the right Jane on the first pass 🙈)

As Mick said you couldn’t make some of this stuff up. One small tweak can change a whole search 😂
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

The 1939 Electoral Rolls for Kensington and Chelsea (viewed on Ancestry) has a William Davies Morris and Ellen Morris living at 189 Ladbroke Grove. Again multiple occupancy.
K&C Electoral Rolls 1939.JPG
K&C Electoral Rolls 1939.JPG (92.85 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
The Electoral Rolls are a new addition to Ancestry having previously been viewable on FMP
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

In 1933 William and Ellen AND Jane are living at 25 Hillcrest Avenue Hendon, again viewed on Ancestry, again multiple occupancy
Hendon 1933.JPG
Hendon 1933.JPG (77.86 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Sally