We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Joan Marion Jarvis b 1911 Essex

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
JasonB

Joan Marion Jarvis b 1911 Essex

Post by JasonB »

I have hit a brick wall with regards to Joan. She is listed on the 1921 census as the 10 year old granddaughter of George and Louisa Jarvis and born in Wanstead, Essex. Her parents are both dead. She is not listed on the 1911 census. On the 1911 census for George and Louisa is their daugher Marion Emily Jarvis (b 1888 Masbrough, Yorkshire) age 22.

When I typed in Joan Marion Jarvis into Ancestry and searched for births in Essex for 1911 I came across one which stated Joan Marion Jarvis birth date 22 April 1911 and baptised at St. Mary the Virgin With Christ Church, Wanstead, Essex, England on 28 May 1911. Her parents are listed as Marion Elizabeth Jarvis and George Jarvis.

This is the only record I can locate but am not sure it is the right one. It is the right name, year and area but the mother's middle name is Elizabeth not Emily. Her father is listed as George Jarvis.

I cannot find any marriage for Marion Elizabeth Jarvis and George Jarvis.

George and Lousia had two sons and three daughters - Arthur Stopford Jarvis, Marion Emily Jarvis, Charlotte Elizabeth Jarvis, Louise Morris Jarvis and Reginald Eric Jarvis.

Any help in identifying Joan and her parents would be most helpful.
meekhcs

Re: Joan Marion Jarvis b 1911 Essex

Post by meekhcs »

From GRO there is the following birth:-
JARVIS, JOAN MARION MMN DUNN
GRO Reference: 1911 J Quarter in WEST HAM Volume 04A Page 311

From Ancestry there is the following marriage image:-
George Jarvis married Marion Elizabeth Dunn at the parish church in Cheltenham Gloucestershire. George is a bank clerk. His Father George is a Railway Good agent. Marion lived in Cheltenham.

Also from Ancestry there is an image of the Banns being called in London and a different marriage date

Again from GRO JARVIS, GEORGE MMN LONDER (should be Loader)
GRO Reference: 1883 D Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 637

So Joan Marion Jarvis parents were George Jarvis and Marion Elizabeth Dunn. George was the son of George and Louisa Jarvis who Joan Marion was living with in 1921.

In 1911 George and Marion Elizabeth were living in Woodcote Rd in Wanstead where George is recorded as a bank clerk. George and Louisa Jarvis were living in Heaton Moor in Yorkshire in 1911 where George is recorded as a Railway Goods Agent.

I think the fact that George's sister and his wife were both named Marion may have confused the situation.
Sally
JasonB

Re: Joan Marion Jarvis b 1911 Essex

Post by JasonB »

Thank you very much for this information. It has helped me to identify the parents of Joan and when her parents died.