We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

via Palermo #19, Rome

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

via Palermo #19, Rome

Post by meekhcs »

The above is the address given on the death record of Sarah Parmiter in 1906.
At the time, several years ago, I bookmarked information regarding the address, but I can no longer find the bookmark. I had major problems with my laptop earlier this year and lost info. as a result.
I am sure the address was the home of a solicitor but I cannot remember his name.
This is the translation of the death registration:-

“Extract of the register of acts of death of year 1906, Number 3569, Serie A, Volume 5, Parte I

Sara Parmiter

Dated 23 September 1906 at 9 AM at the town office. Before the official Agesilao Milano Filipperi, Secretary delegated by the Mayor on 2 December 1904 as official of vital records for the Comune of Rome…
to Appeared Alfredo Scalamonti, age 36, clerk, residing in Rome, and Bruto Scarpetti, age 21, assistant clerk, residing in Rome; declare that at 10 AM yesterday [22 September] at the place at Via Palermo #19, age 81, residing …., born in (near southwest?) England to deceased Tommaso residing…. And to deceased Sara Gillingham, residing….
She was unmarried.
Record was witnessed by Attilio del Pinto, 53, clerk; and Carlo Azzurri, 62, clerk, both residing in this town.
They all signed."

If anyone can find any detail regarding the address I would be very grateful.

Thanks Sally
Sally
VALLMO9

Re: via Palermo #19, Rome

Post by VALLMO9 »

In 1891 it was the home/office of Giacomo Ruta, Lawyer. The address is located near quite a few churches.

How or where did you get her death record? Was Gillingham her mother's surname?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thank you Mo That is the person.

Where did you find out the info please?

Yes Sarah's parents were Thomas Parmiter and Sarah Gillingham.

I am in the middle of putting together Timelines for her, and her sisters, and found I had lost the bookmark for Giacomo Ruta.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

We discussed the address in a previous thread, from last year, if memory serves. I found the address in an online Google book. Some sort of Italian directory. Not an expert, but I think the address might also be written as: Via Roma,19, Palermo.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I wonder if she was affiliated with this Palermo church? http://www.chiesaanglicanapalermo.it/
History: http://www.chiesaanglicanapalermo.it/our-history
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Mo

As soon as I put his name in the post popped up.

.........and yes there were several books by him through out that period. I shall make sure I add the details this time before I lose them again.

Sarah was born in 1825, baptised C of E and then conditionally baptised into the Catholic Faith in 1841, by which time she would have been too old for the Convent school at St Monica's Priory, which was attended by her younger sister and stepsister. It was run at the time by Augustinian Nuns and there is a marvellous website put together by Sue Stead regarding the history of the Prior https://sites.google.com/site/stmonicaspriory/

I am not sure what position she could hold within a Convent/Priory as she was conditionally baptised. Something else to research.

I will look at the websites you have provided.

Thank you
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi again Mo

I was so fixated on Giacomo Ruta earlier I didn't answer the rest of your post properly.

I found Sarah's death on Ancestry. It came up on the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969. It is also on FamilySearch but there isn't an image there.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sorry, my memory is a bit hazy... Were you able to confirm if Sarah was indeed a nun. Or does your research suggest she was a nun?
What census records is she "missing" from?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

The only census record I have for Sarah is in 1841 when she is with her Father and Family at St Andrews Farm in East Stoke, Dorset, aged 16, no occupation.

The next record I have is her death registration in Rome in 1906. Absolutely nothing in between. I followed the suggestions you made re the post for her sister Maria Shepherd Parmiter on search techniques but they didn't yield anything for Sarah.

My thoughts on her being a Nun or member of a Religious order of some description are founded purely on her conditional baptism into the Catholic Faith in 1841 and her death registration, which was translated for me by members of Italian Genalogy.com several years ago, who mentioned that one of the seals on the registration indicated that she was a member of a Religious order.

Today I have been concentrating on the address she passed away at, 19 via Palermo, Rome.

I found the following article (details below) which indicates that in 1790 a group was founded for Catholic women called The daughters of the Heart of Mary (DHM) in Paris. The article goes on to say that a Miss Sophie Faivre travelled to Rome in connection with this movement and stayed at a "Common House" in via Palermo, Rome. A common house would I believe be part of a Convent.

Les cardineaux entre Cour et Curie
https://books-openedition-org.translate ... _tr_pto=sc

Google has many articles relating to DHM but most will not load, maybe it is my laptop. Several mentioned that the movement came to England in 1846 in the description of articles but again the pages would not open, and I found nothing for Sophie Faivre.

As yet I have been unable to link the Common House to No.19 or anywhere in via Palermo. I suspect it is a case of using the correct words in the correct order in google search. If I could, it would lend weight to Sarah possibly being a member of the DHM movement.

Finally TNA has a link to The Daughters of the Heart of Mary: United Kingdom Region 1846 onwards, and I have today emailed them to see if they can help me further, which entails up to a 10 day wait for a response. They do not hold the records themselves. The mention of 1846 certainly ties in with the google records I saw earlier.

Edited: 17-19 via Palermo on google maps Dec 2020 looked like a building site! - with possibly an underground car park. It is on the corner of via Palermo and via Milano.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I note that this thread mentions "via Palermo 19", but isn't the address actually Via Roma,19 (in Palermo)? Wasn't that the address we were discussing last year? :? I'm confused. The online photo/street view for via Roma 19 is of a respectable older building, with a couple of flags above it's main entrance.

Looks like any records TNA might have may be from the Daughters of the Heart of Mary, based in Wimbledon.
Link: https://www.dhmary.com/
Phone: +44 20 8946 3564
Address: 41 Murray Rd, London SW19 4PD