We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1950 American census

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

1950 American census

Post by Thunder »

Great to see this out today, even if I can't find the people I am looking for (Cecil B de Mille and Loretta Lynn) but if the US National Archives can use artificial intelligence to release the information free why can't the TNA and stop the ridiculous mistakes by FMP like Terence transcribed as Florence!.
AdrianBruce

Re: 1950 American census

Post by AdrianBruce »

Stop the ridiculous mistakes? So you think that indexing "Hugo and Hazel Geissler" as "Hugar and Hegel Guisler" is not a mistake?
(Judy G. Russell, “Time travel with NARA,” URL https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2022/0 ... with-nara/, The Legal Genealogist (https://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog : posted 1 Apr 2022).)

Now I have to say that is actually a seriously impressive performance when you look at the image in question, but please, let's not imagine that it will stop mistakes yet.
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thunder wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 19:08 I can't find the people I am looking for (Cecil B de Mille and Loretta Lynn)
CB De Mille can be found at California, Los Angeles, 66-387 (page 14). My granny lived several blocks from De Mille Drive at the time. :)
That's how I was able to locate CBD in the 1950 census. Impossible to locate him by name only.

Wasn't Loretta Lynn residing in Washington state circa 1950? If so, you'd need to have an idea of the city/town and the neighbourhood to find her.
If they were still in Custer, WA (Whatcom County) you could try searching for LL in EDs: 37-25 and 37-28
NOTE: ED 37-28 includes the "Town of Custer" - starting on page 4.
If they were in Blaine, WA (Whatcom County) search EDs: 37-26, 37-27, 37-29, 37-31, 37-32, 37-34
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Many thanks. Cecil was one of my ancestors.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thunder wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 01:22 Cecil was one of my ancestors.
Thunder - Are you directly related to CBD? Or related to one of his parents? (Personally, I prefer his niece Agnes for talent).
Just curious, as I'm a silent films aficionado. Also, the father of one of my best friends was an Edendale cameraman during the silent era. :D
He worked on several Clara Bow films, amongst many others.

The vintage Hollywood apartment building my granny lived in mainly housed residents who were former silent film techs and extras.