We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1921 Census Mystery

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

1921 Census Mystery

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I have the 1921 census for my great grandmother and her husband but four children are missing from the return. Their ages are ticked appropriately but their individual names etc haven't been entered. I haven't found them elsewhere. Is it possible the couple misunderstood the form and didn't add the children's names, thinking the tick boxes were enough? Could that happen - the form seems pretty clear to me - or should I keep looking?
avaline

Re: 1921 Census Mystery

Post by avaline »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 12:35 I have the 1921 census for my great grandmother and her husband but four children are missing from the return. Their ages are ticked appropriately but their individual names etc haven't been entered. I haven't found them elsewhere. Is it possible the couple misunderstood the form and didn't add the children's names, thinking the tick boxes were enough? Could that happen - the form seems pretty clear to me - or should I keep looking?
Based on the number of people who got the 1911 census wrong.... yes, it's certainly possible. They may equally have got it right though, and the children were elsewhere. There was a depression 1920-22 and lots of unemployment, so could the children be in care somewhere perhaps?
Norfolk Nan

Re: 1921 Census Mystery

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Avaline

Mmmm, it is one of those mysteries isn't it It's clearly not a mistranscription - they aren't on the form! I've found the few relatives so care is an option but my gran had a lot to say about her mother (not always kind) and I'm sure that would have come out some time. It will all come clear in the end :lol: