We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WDYTYA - 30 November - Ed Balls

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
phsvm

WDYTYA - 30 November - Ed Balls

Post by phsvm »

The last in the current series.

TV presenter and former MP Ed Balls grew up in a family that wanted to make the world a better place, so he sets out to find out what kind of people his ancestors were. He looks into rumours of a link to Nelson's ship HMS Victory on his father's side, taking him to Portsmouth and the story of his three-times great-grandfather, an assistant surgeon. On his mother's side he feels a deep connection with Christopher Green, an agricultural labourer who went on trial at Norwich Castle after standing up to defend his livelihood and community
Thunder

Re: WDYTYA - 30 November - Ed Balls

Post by Thunder »

Interesting, I thought most people knew sheep stealing was a capital offence. Agricultural labourers had no clout and were often on the wrong side of owners and people today still feel unhappy about computers and machines taking over their jobs which is a modern day equivalent of threshing machines.
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

I really enjoyed this episode. his ancestor was lucky to escape the sheep charge. My 5xGt Grandad was transported to Australia for stealing bread!!!
Grace.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I also enjoyed the program. Ed was a thoughtful and sympathetic participant and the whole program highlighted some important issues.

Incidentally, I was mildly surprised that sheep stealing was a capital offence - it must have been on the way out because, according to http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/timeline.html ...
1832-1837. Sir Robert Peel's government introduced various Bills to reduce the number of capital crimes. Shoplifting, sheep, cattle and horse stealing removed from the list in 1832, followed by sacrilege, letter stealing, returning from transportation (1834/5), forgery and coining (1836), arson, burglary and theft from a dwelling house (1837), rape (1841) and finally attempted murder in 1861.
The last hangings for robbery took place at Shrewsbury on the 13th of August 1836 when Lawrence Curtis, Patrick and Edward Donnelly were executed. The last hanging for arson was that of Daniel Case at Ilchester in Somerset on the 31st of August 1836.
(My emphasis)

Also from an 1832 Hansard report https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... unishments
It appeared that, in the year 1831, there were sentenced to death for sheep-stealing in England and Wales, 162 persons—executed one; sentenced to death for horse-stealing, 125—executed none; sentenced to death for larceny in a dwelling-house, 100—executed none.
Even so - food for thought.
Adrian Bruce
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Enjoyed this episode, and I actually connected to it!

A now discarded relative gave testimony in court regarding the Andover workhouse and the bone crushing, and being from a Family of ag labs we had lots of connections to the Swing Riots in Hampshire and Dorset.

Ironically my husbands farming ancestors (The Parmiters) obviously thought well if you can't beat them, join them, and set up a Family business in and around Tisbury in Wiltshire making agricultural machinery.
Sally