We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

William DANIELS, b 1817

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Greaves

William DANIELS, b 1817

Post by Greaves »

William Daniel(s) was born on 02 Aug 1817 in Southgate in Middlesex to William and Rebecca Daniel(s). He was baptised at All Saints in Edmonton on 15 Mar 1818, his surname being transcribed as Daniells.

As far as I can see, he then disappears from the record. Perhaps he died in infancy, if he did I cannot find a burial. If he survived childhood, I can't find any record in a subsequent census. He certainly wasn't with his parents in 1841, which I suppose is not unexpected as he would have been 24 by then. His elder brother John born in 1815 had already left home and was serving in India with the East India Company. I suppose William could have followed him into the military, but again I can find no record.

As always any help would be appreciated.
avaline

Re: William DANIELS, b 1817

Post by avaline »

The age is a little out but FmP has a record for a William Daniels born Edmonton deserting from the 67th Foot Regiment on 13 Mar 1839, aged 19.
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

Yes I have seen this in the past, but as you say the age is a little out. Still possible given that people often lied about their age to enlist.

I have no idea how to ascertain whether this record relates to my relative.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Try and find his attestation papers, these often have family members and addresses mentioned, for next of kin purposes.