We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Kent/Cheshire

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Gloryer

Kent/Cheshire

Post by Gloryer »

I am looking for some help with Richard Back b1765 Boughton Monchelsea d 1859 Staplehurst Kent. He married Hannah Hollinshead 1798 Prestbury Cheshire and my 3rd great grandmother Elizabeth Back was born 1808 Macclesfield Cheshire. I had often wondered why he would be in Cheshire as he soon returned back to kent. I have just been told that he was serving as a soldier when he got married so that has solved one mystery. So I am now wondering what unit he would have been serving in during his military years. I have an ancestry sub but couldnt find anything definite
Thunder

Re: Kent/Cheshire

Post by Thunder »

Try The National Archives Discovery website, it is currently down again!.
Gloryer

Post by Gloryer »

ok thanks
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Have you checked Find My Past for him? There's an undated record for a Richard Back in the British Army Service Records set. As there are no dates affiliated with this record, it suggests it could be from the 18th or 19th century.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

He might also have been serving with the Militia - those records are in slightly different collections. Units of Militia were embodied (put into uniform) during the Napoleonic Wars to act as defence forces in the event of invasion and they could serve some distance away from "home".
Adrian Bruce
Gloryer

Post by Gloryer »

thanks for your replys but getting nowhere fast with this one. Not got a sub with FMP but will look into that one