We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Military Service Records - Any Progress?

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Military Service Records - Any Progress?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Re previous posts about overdue application,has anyone actually received a long-awaited record yet or any further information? I'm still waiting on one requested in March and another in April...
Norfolk Nan

Re: Military Service Records - Any Progress?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Just thought I'd mention I heard today that the MOD are putting more people on the job in an effort to reduce the extensive backlog. That's good news. They are still quoting a 12+ month delay between application and receipt. However, as they are transferring records to TNA some applications will require the MOD to access transferred records, adding to the delay I imagine. It's not in my nature to be patient but if covid has taught me anything its that patience is a virtue :lol:
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

Norfolk Nan - are you still waiting for these records? I applied for two sets in May and have still heard nothing.

I applied from them in 2020 and they eventually returned the payment saying the cheque was older than 6 months so they couldn't accept it - we've had that discussion about the validity of cheques already - but I haven't even had it returned this time!
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I read somewhere recently, and I can't remember where as I write this, sorry, that one can make, or will be able to soon, the application for RAF records online BUT as it will still be handled in the same way as written applications it will not speed up the process. :(

Perhaps Thunder may have an idea about how the transfer of records to TNA is coming along? I suspect until that process is complete the wait will still be months.

I want to order Mum, Dad and Grandads records but have held off so far.
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... f-records/

This is the link re online ordering
Sally
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

My wife applied for her father’s record in mid 2020 and we haven’t heard anything at all
Paul
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I'm still waiting and haven't heard anything since making the applications in March and April 2021.
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

Thanks Paul and Norfolk Nan. Bizarrely, it's reassuring to find I'm not the only one waiting!
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

meekhcs wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:32 I read somewhere recently, and I can't remember where as I write this, sorry, that one can make, or will be able to soon, the application for RAF records online BUT as it will still be handled in the same way as written applications it will not speed up the process. :(

Perhaps Thunder may have an idea about how the transfer of records to TNA is coming along? I suspect until that process is complete the wait will still be months.

I want to order Mum, Dad and Grandads records but have held off so far.
I have heard no news apart from the fact the RAF records will be sent in first and they need conservation work done first and of course cataloguing. It may be a case of a few years rather than months. I am still awaiting my grandfather's file, he was born in 1893.
BeeJayEss

Post by BeeJayEss »

I ordered my dad's Army records in mid-November 2021 and received them this week. Very pleasantly surprised at the speed of that! :D
Bev