We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

John South death 1894

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Re: John South death 1894

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I think the coroner was A B Hicks, coroner for London. The death was a few short days before Christmas and coincided with the death of Robert Louis Stevenson and a couple of other well heeled people so perhaps there was no print space for an unexplained drowning?

I’ve just realised the coroner is THE Athelstan Braxton Hicks, a famous coroner of the period. And a name that every pregnant mum will know! :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

A small update and a plea for suggestions: I’ve confirmed that John South, poor soul pulled out of the river in Putney, is who I thought he was and confirmed he was the butler in the 1891 census through his marriage certificate. According to the death cert the inquest drew no conclusions about his death and the LMA have confirmed there are no inquest papers available. I’ve not found a newspaper report although there are reports from the same day and same court so I presume there was nothing interesting about this case worth reporting. John left a wife and children and his widow married again the following year. I’d like to know more about John’s death - any ideas how or where I might find further information?

Thank you?
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

Athelstan Braxton Hicks was actually the son of John Braxton Hicks after whom the 'false' contractions are names.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Yes, so I discovered. Just reading his Wiki page (son, not father) was a revelation about the grim reality of Victorian life. :o
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Final post. I managed to find a newspaper item about this inquest and the death is a mystery, a sad but unexplained fact of life. Once again archivists were very helpful, along with folks here, and I’ve discovered some interesting facts during this search. It’s what makes family history so fascinating, isn’t it. Thank you.