We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Welsh baptism

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
petergenii44

Welsh baptism

Post by petergenii44 »

Have tried to find the baptism for Windsor Rees for the past 40 year, no success,

Windsor Rees married Joan Williams 16 Aug 1807 in Llanrisant, Glams.

His son was baptised at the Groeswen Chapel, Eglwysilian, Glams on the 10 May 1808. father Windsor mother Joan Rees both of Llantrisant.

The Freedom Roll for Llantrisant had the following:-
Enrolled 14 May 1808 Llantrisant
Date 1785 - June 1831
Address = Cardiff
Comments = Cordwainer ( son was also Windsor Rees)

Any suggestions as to where to look?

Petergenii44
VALLMO9

Re: Welsh baptism

Post by VALLMO9 »

According to Windsor Rees snr's 1831 burial record on FreeReg, it lists his age as 46. So he was born circa 1785, but was he also born in Llantrisant?

If you've been checking for a Llantrisant baptism on Find My Past, you won't find it. Whilst FMP do have Welsh baptism, banns, marriage and burial records, there are a number of parishes that chose not to participate in the digitisation project, and therefore their records do not form part of FMP's Wales Collection. Unfortunately, one of the parishes who opted out of the Wales Collection digitisation programme is Llantrisant.

Family Search have some Llantrisant baptism records for the late 18th century, but I don't see a baptism for Windsor anywhere in Wales.

As such, have you contacted the Archives of the Parish Of Llantrisant Parochial Church Council? https://parishofllantrisant.org.uk/_archives.html
Archives email address: archives@parishofllantrisant.org.uk

Did Windsor and Joan have another son? Or is Thomas Rees their grandson? I think the notice below refers to the 1844 birth of a Windsor Rees, who joined the Royal Navy in 1862. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/D7901817

Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Brecon Gazette
23 May 1846
Family Notices -- Page 3
"May 19, in Harrison-Street, Gray's-Inn-Road, Mr. Thomas Rees, cabinet maker, eldest son of the late Mr. Windsor Rees of Cardiff"
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 28 Aug 2021, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
petergenii44

Post by petergenii44 »

To VALLMO9,

Thank you for such a quick response! You have been most helpful

I didn't think of parishes opting out of the digitization programme, but I will get in touch with the Parochial church as suggested.

Windsor had four more children born in Cardiff one being a Windsor but died in 1844 Thomas my 3xgf came to London but died in 1846. my 2xgf Windsor Evan Rees went back to stay with his Aunt and Uncle Elizabeth Fraser (nee) Rees when he got in his teens. The 1861 census had Windsor a seaman aged 16/17. You have now answered a problem I had because when Windsor Evan came to the Crystal Palace Norwood London and married Harriet Overton in 1876, he stated on the marriage certificate that he was a Steward on ship. My dreadful assumption was that he was in the Merchant Navy because that is what Windsor Evan's son William my grandfather did, he was a ships steward on Passenger Liners 1900 - 1906! Thanks for finding him (possibly) in the Royal Navy.

I will definitely check the newspaper article that you gave me.

Well thanks again.

petergenii44
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

TIP: On Family Search, some of the Llantrisant, Glamorgan baptisms for circa late 18th century indicate only the child's first name(s). No surname. And sometimes the parents' names will only indicate their surnames. So bear this in mind when searching (again) for Windsor.

Two examples:

Name: Harry
Baptism Date: 1787
Baptism Place: Llantrisant, Glamorgan, Wales
Father's Name: Rees
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Name David John
Baptism Date 1779
Baptism Place Llantrisant, Glamorgan, Wales
Father's Name: Howell
Mother's Name: Jennet

Is there a William Windsor Rees (watchmaker) in your family? If so, he's mentioned in this newspaper report concerning a fire in a jewelry store:

11 March 1854 -- Page 2
Silurian, Cardiff, Merthyr, and Brecon Mercury, and South Wales General Advertiser

And this could be a brief death notice for Windsor Rees' widow Joan:

17 March 1849 -- Page 3
Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Brecon Gazette
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

The church holds copies, see below, with the National Library of Wales holding the originals. There may be a problem given Coronavirus. The church may refuse to search unless you have a specific date in mind, which seems fair enough to me.

https://parishofllantrisant.org.uk/_archives.html
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

From the online book: The History of the Borough of Llantrisant, Glamorganshire, and Its Neighbourhood by Sem Phillips, published in 1866.

Included in the List of Burgesses in Llantrisant section:

#242 - Thomas REES, cordwainer, 1761
#313 - Thomas REES, junior, cordwainer, 1774
#511 - William WILLIAMS, cordwainer, 1808
#512 - Windsor REES, cordwainer, 1808
#578 - Morgan WILLIAMS, cordwainer, 1819

Could #242 and #313 be related to Windsor? And is #511 wife Joan William's father or brother? It's a possibility, given that Windsor and Joan married in 1807. And would that make #578 possibly a brother of Joan's?

I wonder if the Archives of the Parish Of Llantrisant Parochial Church Council would have the 1807 marriage? If so, it would be interesting to see the marriage witness names (if any are listed).
petergenii44

Post by petergenii44 »

To VALLMO9

Many thanks for your efforts to help me with Windsor Rees.

I have sent a request to the LLantrisant Parish Archive team, so see what turns up.

The Burgess Rolls for Llantrisant are very interesting now need some confirmation of connections to these men.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Peter.