We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Help with a missing marriage please

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Grea

Re: Help with a missing marriage please

Post by Grea »

I would like to know how lily’s later life went. Lily was born in B,Ham Jan 1885 to John and Esther. John died when Lily was 2yrs old. She and her mother went to live with her brother George, a publican, in the town of Worcester, Lily remained there until she married in 1913. I did visit the place where she grew up, The Bricklayers Arms, and saw that It was being renovated by the present owner. It had been empty for many years, the owner allowed me inside and you could clearly see that it Was previously a pub, he described the layout to me which was very interesting. Hope this is of interest G.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Grea

My limited research of Lily confirms that after their marriage in 1913, Lily and William (Willie) went to live at 20 Northumberland Grove, Tottenham, north London in a house that his sisters were already living in. His family were settled in Tottenham by then, having moved down country from Birmingham. By the time their only child, Daisy Lily, was born in October 1915 Willie's sisters had moved elsewhere.

The Electoral Register shows Lily at that address in 1922 (when women got the vote) with William but he is missing from the record after 1922. I don't know if he died or left the marriage but in the 1939 Registration Lily states she is widowed and a retired showroom cleaner. Lily is on the electoral register for that address from 1922 right through to 1955 - I assume she died - with Daisy. The top floor was let out to lodgers and they are recorded in the electoral registers.

Daisy continued to live at the same address until about 1963 when the whole street was compulsory purchased and the area redeveloped. Daisy never married but had a 30+ year relationship with my grandfather that lasted from WW2 through to his death in 1976. My parents and I were Daisy's lodgers for several years and she was my godmother. She died in 1985. I don't have any photos of Lily and Daisy didn't say much to me about her family but she did tell my mother about the brother who had been sent to Barnardos but didn't explain why nor mentioned his name, just that she had always supported the charity for that reason.

I hope this is of interest to you.
Grea

Post by Grea »

That’s a very interesting piece, thank you. Another part of our family history jigsaw. StaySafe G