We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Mary Dillon did she live in Johnstown Kilkenny

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
avaline

Re: Mary Dillon did she live in Johnstown Kilkenny

Post by avaline »

Its also worth considering that people didn't always describe relationships accurately, and still don't.

For example, my cousin's children call me either their aunty or their cousin, and their children all call me their aunty, but I'm not.
titch

Post by titch »

Thank you Avaline, hazza87, and AdrianBruce for your comments and suggestions. I will follow them up.
titch

Post by titch »

Avaline. I am having great trouble finding:
marriage certificate for James Purcell and Cathrine Kelly
Birth certificates for all of James/cathrine children
Where did you find them.

Cannot find a birth reference for Ellen Dillon between 1820 and 1850, nor for michael purcell, or his father William.

Do you know if there is a problem with the system
hazza87

Post by hazza87 »

Regarding the records Avaline found. Civil registration didn't begin until 1864, so the only children you will find birth certificates for will be Edward/Edmond in 1866 and John in 1869. Prior to 1864 you are relying on parish registers, and the other births mentioned are baptism records. They are available on Find My Past under the Irish Roman Catholic Baptisms collection. I think the same records may also be on Ancestry, but not sure. Likewise, the marriage of James & Catherine is the record in the parish register, James' surname is written as Purcill, so you need to search under the Irish Roman Catholic Marriages for that. I've just brought them up on Find My Past without a problem.

Irish parish records are much more incomplete than English ones, I'm afraid, so locating baptisms can be difficult. The only census records to rely on are 1901 & 1911, and they only give a county of origin and are not specific regarding actual birthplaces. I mentioned that Ellen Purcell/Dillon said she was born in Kings County (Offaly) on the census and her father was Robert Dillon according to her marriage, but there is no corresponding baptism for her that matches up with that. That's not uncommon when you are this far back in Ireland.

We have no idea where Michael Purcell was from. His father was named as Patrick Purcell on the marriage. He was supposedly 50 when he married, and 86 when he died. So born c. 1811-1820 (ish!). He appears to have been a Farmer. Michael & Ellen had 3 children, who were all baptised at Roscumroe/Kinnitty (Offaly) They are the 3 children living with Ellen on the census in Deerpark in 1901 & 1911 that I mentioned. All were unmarried at that stage. From the records available, Michael & Ellen appear to have been living in Cadamstown, Offaly, from their marriage in 1870 up until his death in 1897. The marriage of John Purcell/Jane Hickey took place in Gortnahoe, Tipperary in 1892, which is some distance away, so I'm not sure we can be certain that they were the same couple who witnessed the wedding, even though the surnames look promising.

Back to James Purcell's marriage. The parish register doesn’t give father's names, it just says that the witnesses were Patrick Purcell & Onny Mara. Patrick may have been a relative, but we don't know the exact relationship.