We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ann Brenning, my 5th great grandmother

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Artognou

Ann Brenning, my 5th great grandmother

Post by Artognou »

Hi everyone, I have a massive ongoing mystery with my 5th great grandmother, Ann Brenning.

She married Henry Macey in 1781, Plymouth and in the record his surname is spelt as 'Mascey'. I have his side covered, but this is the earliest document I can find regarding Ann - her surname is actually spelt as Brenning on the document and I have tried relentlessly to find anything about her prior to being married, however nothing seems to be popping up, even with wildcard searches.
The marriage record states her as being a spinster and there's nothing to reveal her age from her death record either.

I don't know what else to do with this brick wall, if anyone can help me with a fresh pair of eyes I would be hugely grateful!
Hardwork

Re: Ann Brenning, my 5th great grandmother

Post by Hardwork »

Do you have a burial for her? If so, does it give an age? It occurs to me that she may well have been born abroad if she married in a naval town like Plymouth.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Could you post details of her death record please.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

The Macey children had non-conformist baptisms. Perhaps Ann was from a non-conformist family, in which baptisms for them aren't available online?
Artognou

Post by Artognou »

Hi everyone, many thanks for your replies.

I haven't looked at Ann for quite some time due to the colossal brick wall and I can't quite remember how I reached the conclusion that her death was in 1791 (Plymouth), however, this is definitely not her death date because this was a daughter of a William Macey (I believe) after looking at both records.

I am pretty sure that the last child she had with Henry Macey was my 4th great grandfather, also called Henry Macey.

It's very interesting that some of the non-conformist registers aren't online, I will have to look into this, as it could open up a few doors!