We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Useless FMP Transcriptions

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Mick Loney

Useless FMP Transcriptions

Post by Mick Loney »

I was searching for a baptism for Robert Lyddal in wiltshire around 1650, and FMP listed about 10 results with no names listed.
On checking one, FMP presented me with the following:
Fmp Search Results.jpg
Fmp Search Results.jpg (184.27 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
To quote Adrian, as useful as a chocolate teapot!! Why do they bother? :cry:
Jimbo50

Re: Useless FMP Transcriptions

Post by Jimbo50 »

Wow. Is the original available to view ?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Haven’t the foggiest, no names or dates, who knows
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Terrible transcription is the kindest words to comment on the work by FMP. The original records should be at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

https://wshc.org.uk/
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Wiltshire Baptisms Index 1530-1917 transcriptions were created by both Findmypast and Wiltshire Family History Society.
The "blank" records in question could be the result of problems occurring during the transcriptions conversion process as they were uploaded to FMP.

Transcriptions are converted to a specific format, which removes all formatting, for uploading to a web site. Example: If a transcriber accidentally left a blank line(s) in a spreadsheet or template this would effect the upload process, resulting in each "blank" record needing to be manually removed. Perhaps FMP haven't gotten round to deleting these "blank" Wiltshire records yet.

So it might be a technical issue rather than a case of "useless" transcriptions or transcribers. Given the "transcribing bashing" on the Forum it puts me off being a volunteer transcriber. I'm always grateful for any transcribing, whether error-free or not. Why bite the hand that feeds?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

VALLMO9 wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 19:41 Wiltshire Baptisms Index 1530-1917 transcriptions were created by both Findmypast and Wiltshire Family History Society.
The "blank" records in question could be the result of problems occurring during the transcriptions conversion process as they were uploaded to

So its technical issue rather than a case of "useless" transcriptions or transcribers. Given the "transcribing bashing" on the Forum it puts me off being a volunteer transcriber. I'm always grateful for any transcribing, whether error-free or not. Why bite the hand that feeds?
I’m merely pointing out how silly and useless their results are. I’ve done my fair share of transcribing, but I know they are never accepted at face value, until confirmed by another transcriber, so it has nothing to do with faulty transcriptions or transcribers!

FMP have a habit of listing totally blank results in their search results, and if their ‘conversion’ process is that bad, they need another process!
I’m afraid you can’t defend the indefensible, after all, we are all paying to download this rubbish! Why would they think a completely blank record could possibly match with any search criteria
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Mick Loney wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 20:10 I’m merely pointing out how silly and useless their results are.
If I may ask, what is the point of doing that? As the Chinese proverb states "It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness".
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

VALLMO9 wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 19:41 Wiltshire Baptisms Index 1530-1917 transcriptions were created by both Findmypast and Wiltshire Family History Society.
The "blank" records in question could be the result of problems occurring during the transcriptions conversion process as they were uploaded to FMP.

Transcriptions are converted to a specific format, which removes all formatting, for uploading to a web site. Example: If a transcriber accidentally left a blank line(s) in a spreadsheet or template this would effect the upload process, resulting in each "blank" record needing to be manually removed. Perhaps FMP haven't gotten round to deleting these "blank" Wiltshire records yet.

So it might be a technical issue rather than a case of "useless" transcriptions or transcribers. Given the "transcribing bashing" on the Forum it puts me off being a volunteer transcriber. I'm always grateful for any transcribing, whether error-free or not. Why bite the hand that feeds?
I have no issue with the transcribing but with the way the data is often not checked (TNA is a prime example) and why I won't transcribe for them given their petty rules of 'transcribing as seen' (the use of square brackets used to be used and sometimes is still to indicate the correct information not stated). In fact TNA admitted it was a mistake to give FMP the work on the 1939 Register!. Of course how the transcription appears can be useful or vital to researchers.