We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Joseph Viggars 1841 census

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
phsvm

Joseph Viggars 1841 census

Post by phsvm »

Joseph Viggars was born about 1776 and his wife Martha about 1781. Both were born in Staffordshire.

The 1841 census shows them living in Halmer End, Audley, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire, England.

Now comes my question. Under 'Occupation' it seems to say 'Ind' which to me suggests Independent means. They live amongst coal miners and whilst it may of course be possible that he was of independent means, it looks a little out of place.

Am I reading the entry correctly and is that really what is meant by the term in this instance?
Mick Loney

Re: Joseph Viggars 1841 census

Post by Mick Loney »

They are in their mid-sixties, so not unusual to be retired by then. If they were not in need of parish relief, could well be classed as independant, i.e. not requiring outside help. Me thinks you are reading too much into the term :D