We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Firs Lane Edmonton Middx 1950s

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Eileenlc

Firs Lane Edmonton Middx 1950s

Post by Eileenlc »

I've been following a relative through electoral rolls and in 1952/53 their address is given as 'The Hostel', Firs Lane, Edmonton, Middx. Many people are listed as being there, including probable married couples. Does anyone know what this place was? My relative would have been aged in her late 40s and had spent several years living overseas.
Thanks, Eileen
VALLMO9

Re: Firs Lane Edmonton Middx 1950s

Post by VALLMO9 »

"The Hostel" could be the former POW camp near Firs Lane, which became accommodation for UK families to be re-homed elsewhere (e.g. Herts).
From what I've read online, the huts consisted of one room for each family, with shared kitchens and bathrooms. Each family's living space was separated by screens. Former residents referred to these army huts as "The Hostel(s)".
Eileenlc

Re: Firs Lane Edmonton Middx 1950s

Post by Eileenlc »

Thank you. It sounds a very similar arrangement to the Bonegilla Migrant Camp, near where I live in Wodonga, Australia, set up after the War to accommodate displaced persons.