We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Martin Bond Smith

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Martin Bond Smith

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 09:04 I haven’t found a baptism for the Fulham boys. More questions to answer… :D
As previously suggested, LMA hold lots of Fulham parish records. So do contact them. Just so you don't waste time looking for Martin's baptism online.

If John Smith snr and son were gardeners (then pivoted into pork butchers) it might be because they were (market) gardeners on the land which became Brompton Cemetery in 1839/40. Who knows how many of those gardeners found other occupations circa 1840.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I’m waiting for a response from the LMA but not holding out much hope for Martin’s baptism as it seems to fall into the gap in several relevant registers. Never mind. Re the change of career, Martin went from gardener to laundryman and his wife and daughters were ironers so they had a family business going.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

jonwarrn wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 23:24 Going back to Maria Walker nee Martin (sorry!), her baptism could be 15 March 1818, Speen .
Parents Richard and Mary Martin. Abode Speenhamland. Father Horsekeeper.
Others there Mary Ann, 1813, Richard, 1815, Frances, 1820
They may be in Hammersmith by 1824.

If the parents married in Berkshire, then there is one in Reading, 8 Sep 1811, no baptisms following there.
Richard Martin and Mary Smith.
You know, if that is the right marriage, could Mary Martin have been a sister of Shadrach? :|
The widowed Mary Martin is in Hammersmith in 1851, Laundress. Age 65, her birthplace is given as Hampshire.
Has children with her, including son Richard, 37, Horsekeeper, born Berks Speenhamland.

And in 1861 in Hammersmith is a Mary Martin, lodger, 75, formerly laundress, born (looks like) Kinglear?, Hampshire. Ancestry say Dinghear!

Baptisms in Kingsclere to John and Mary Smith include
Mary, 9 Oct 1785
Shadrach, 9 April 1797

This would make Maria Walker nee Martin (in whose house we see Martin Smith in 1841) and Maria Smith, daughter of Shadrach, later wife of Martin, first cousins.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Yes! I think you have hit the right nail there, jon* I haven't found any other info for Shadrach's sister Mary so yes, she could be Mary Martin, and the pieces all fit together. Brilliant! And thank you! :D :D

To add to the mystery - I see there is a Maria Smith, 43, widow, laundress also living in the house with Mary in 1861 - relationship with head not stated. Birthplace Hammersmith, not Speenhamland but I find this is flexible...did Maria Walker marry for a second time and was it another Smith :shock: