We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Sam Trimble Merchant Navy

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
TreeTrimmer

Sam Trimble Merchant Navy

Post by TreeTrimmer »

I am looking for any information about my dad's service as a Merchant Seaman. At the moment I am writing a biographical booklet about Sam and his wife Irene, ready for the 100th Anniversary of my mum's birth in May.

I know only a few facts about my Dad's naval experiences as he died in 1989 before I became really interested in Family research. I have recently looked through family letters, photos and documents and have the following info: -
- born 9th Sep 1922
- was at home 171 Ellor Street Salford at time of 1939 Register, 29th Sep 1939 / Ice Cream Assistant
- signed up as a Cabin Boy
- Claimed to be able to witness the Battle of the River Plate taking place in the distance from the deck of the ship he was on. Also claimed that the sister ship of the one he was on had been sunk by the Graf Spee Battle of River Plate 13th December 1939
- sent a card dated 1st November 1940 from Sugar Loaf Mountain Rio
- claimed to have crossed the international date line twice - his hair was shaved off
- returned home before 2nd June 1941
- received a portion of salvage money in 1950's for his ship taking part in some salvage operation

I would love to be able to find any details of the ship (s) on which he served, and any proof of witnessing of the Graf Spee conflict.

Thank you for any help that you can give
Thunder

Re: Sam Trimble Merchant Navy

Post by Thunder »

The following article might help identifying the ships. The National Archives should records on the ship and the battle, see below. The Royal Navy (assuming he was on one of their ships) should have his service records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_River_Plate

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... 40&_hb=tna

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... tna&_d=ADM
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Here's an interesting link, but it states that Royal Marine Samuel Trimble was born in 1904 (not 1922). https://hmsgambia.org/Trimble.htm

Also, several newspaper articles about Sgt Samuel Trimble (C.G.M., Royal Marines) on the BNA website. The articles are dated July 1943, and mention ST being wounded when the H.M.S. Achilles was in action against the Graf Spee during the Battle of River Plate.

BNA link: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Something else: "Royal Marine Sergeant Samuel Trimble was on H.M.S. Achilles acting as spotter for where the guns shells landed to correct range. During the Battle of the River Plate with the Graf Spee he won the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.
Stood fast without flinching or complaint throughout the hour of action that followed, bearing his wounds with great fortitude. When the Medical party came he helped them to move the (other) wounded and then made his own way to Sick Bay with little aid".
TreeTrimmer

Post by TreeTrimmer »

Thank you for your two replies. I have checked through a lot of the info. 'Unfortunately' the Sam Trimble you mention is not my Dad. My dad was a merchant seaman and so his sister ship is liable (but not certain) to have been one of those that was sunk by the Graf Spee. Or this may have been an exaggeration on my dad's part. The claim to have seen the battle of the River Plate in the distance was a repeated claim whenever we watched the famous film. I need to find him on a merchant vessel. Did merchant seamen have to register in any ports that they arrived at?

Your help is much appreciated.
Paul
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Find My Past UK have this online collection: Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1918-1941. I don't see a record for Sam(uel) Trimble, though.

This link will provide guidance on researching merchant navy seamen: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hel ... ince-1918/

Another helpful link: https://www.crewlist.org.uk/
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Samuel Trimble should appear in the 4th or 5th Register of Merchant seamen if a member at the time of the start of WW2, and would have a discharge number.
I have checked FMP (4th) and TNA (5th) and nothing came up which is unusual.
I have also checked passenger lists on FMP and Ancestry, again nothing came up. They often list crew as well as passengers.
Are you sure he was a Merchant Seaman?
He may have been seconded to the RNVR or the Royal Navy during W War 2.
To cover all bases a trip to the TNA may be necessary to search through all the records for the 5th Register (BT 382) to see if you can find anything. If he was registered they should definitely have some details of ships he served on, these are often annotated on his discharge card or if he saw active service in WW2 a C10 card.
I see from your Ancestry page that it looks as though he was in the army by the time of his marriage in 1943. Was this the case?
Sally
TreeTrimmer

Post by TreeTrimmer »

Thanks Sally,
He was only in the Merchant Navy for a short period of time. In the past I thought this might have been from before 1939. However the fact that he was a Ice Cream assistant on the 1939 register leads me to believe that he might have joined as a Merchant Seaman early October 1939. He sent a postcard from Rio de Janiero on 1st November 1940 and he also sent an undated postcard of the embattled Graf Spee.

It was said that dad jumped ship around the time of the Manchester Blitz in order to come home on a Dutch Ship and do his bit! He was certainly home by 2nd June 1941 when he was in a bomb shelter that was partially destroyed in a bombing raid that killed his future wife's Granddad William Augustus Leadbeatter.

Sam Trimble eventually joined the RASC on 16th March 1942 and served in a non - fighting capacity until 13th April 1946

I wish I had asked more when dad was alive. He died in 1989. I remember trying to ask him for information when he was ill a few months before he died and he didn't have the energy to tell me anything new.

I have also been chasing up Sam's war time experiences - his war records give little away but I have some letters and Photographs.

I really appreciate your help,
Paul
TreeTrimmer

Post by TreeTrimmer »

Forgot to say that Sam seems to have got engaged to me mum Irene Moss around October 1942, and that that they married in April 1943. Sam suffered from a burst appendix in June 1943 and whilst off strength convalescing at Camberwell my mum visited. 9 months later my brother was born!
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Ok if he jumped ship that may explain why we are not finding anything as I suspect he may not have been officially given a discharge number.

A quick email to Southampton Archives may be helpful. They keep the original register of the 4th Merchant seaman (1918-1941)and they may be prepared to do a quick search to double check.
Sally
TreeTrimmer

Post by TreeTrimmer »

Thank you Sally. Your last reply really nails down an excellent contact and the place the look. The 4th Register of Merchant Seamen held in Southampton. I will certainly contact them and let you know what results they can provide.
Paul