We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

GRO v Local Record Office

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
meekhcs

GRO v Local Record Office

Post by meekhcs »

I ordered a marriage certificate earlier in my research from the GRO to help confirm the marriage for a Gt Aunt.
Fast forward a few months and in trying to unravel her husband's life I have found he has committed bigamy twice!
As a final check I emailed the local record office to obtain a copy of the marriage entry from the original register so that I could compare his signature, which I was quite happy to pay for, with his signature I have on other documents
They have pointed me in the direction of their certificate ordering service. I have never ordered a certificate from a local office before.

My question is "Would this certificate show the original signatures of the couple or would it be the same as my GRO copy?"

The Record Office has copies of all their Registers on microfiche, and I was hoping for a copy of the original register entry. Unfortunately they are not online.
Thank you
Sally
AntonyM

Re: GRO v Local Record Office

Post by AntonyM »

The office that holds the register might produce a certificate by photocopying the actual entry, but they don't have to. You can only ask - much depends on the condition of the register, and how helpful that particular office are willing to be. It isn't a simple process to reproduce an entry from a register directly onto a certificate form.

For a similar enquiry I had the registration office would only supply a certificate by copying the information onto the blank form but they did also supply a photocopy of just the signature part of the original register, which solved my problem.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thank you Anthony
The office concerned have responded to me again, following a further question from me, and said that if they are unable to provide a certificate with the original signature then they will refund my fee, so fingers crossed.
Sally
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

If he married in Church then you should be able to see the signature, assuming he didn't change it in an effort to hide his actions!.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Thunder

I have discovered it was a non conformist wedding so that may cloud the issue. I may have to visit the office personally to see any signature.
Sally