We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

How long to serve in the army to be eligible for a pension?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
WoolieHE

How long to serve in the army to be eligible for a pension?

Post by WoolieHE »

This is a bit of an odd question.

My grandfather was illegitimate and I have just managed to find out who his father was through DNA matches.

My grandfather was born 8 February 1899 Devon. Working backwards he would have been conceived in May 1898.

His father (born 1875 Devon) is an Ag lab in Devon in 1891 and therefore aged 23 when my grandfather was born.

I cannot find any army record for his father, nor can I find him in the 1901 census.

His father married in 1904 Devon and on the marriage his occupation is army pensioner.

In the 1911 census he lists himself as farm labourer and army pensioner. In 1921 his occupation is just listed as woodsman.

I'm aware late 1890s he could well have been in South Africa, but can anyone tell me how long he would have had to serve in the army to be eligible for an army pension?

Many thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts.
AdrianBruce

Re: How long to serve in the army to be eligible for a pension?

Post by AdrianBruce »

From the (defunct) Victorian Wars Forum:
Permanent long service pensions were awarded to every soldier who had completed the maximum period of service with the colours. The size of the pension varied with the length of service over twenty one years and with the soldier’s rank. ...
However, there were also "disability pensions" that could start after a shorter period of service, though what that period was, I'm unsure. I think things might depend on whether the disability was due to army service or not.

Also, "disability pensions" might only last a short time.
Adrian Bruce
WoolieHE

Re: How long to serve in the army to be eligible for a pension?

Post by WoolieHE »

Many thanks Adrian Bruce. Knowing he was an Ag Lab in 1891 (aged 16) and already a pensioner in 1904 he obviously hadn't served 21 years. So if he joined up in 1893 (aged 18) and came out, say 1903, he would have done 10 years.

At least the information you've found and provided suggests he may have been invalided out.

Thank you for your help.