We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Newspapers.com

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Newspapers.com

Post by Thunder »

Do ancestry think we are made of money to access this website at almost £15 a month!.
meekhcs

Re: Newspapers.com

Post by meekhcs »

I was actually given the Access all areas sub covering Newspaper.com and Fold3 by Ancestry for a few months as an apology. It is a step up from the Everything on Ancestry currently offered at £99 per 6 months. NB you can still request an annual sub, which will be cheaper, for all levels of subscriptions.

The Access all areas subscription does not give you complete access to Newspaper.com. To access all of the articles you still have to purchase a further subscription from Newspapers.com on top of the Ancestry sub so the total cost would be somewhere in the region of £250-£300 per annum!
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I have a number of articles from Newspapers.com that were downloaded during free weekends. Obviously they don't advertise exactly when they are coming (or even if) but something to bear in mind for the family historian with only minor US links.
Adrian Bruce
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

meekhcs wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 10:23... The Access all areas subscription does not give you complete access to Newspaper.com. To access all of the articles you still have to purchase a further subscription from Newspapers.com ...
Good point. So far as I can see when I looked, the division point is the date before which newspapers are still in copyright in the US. Before that you should look at free sites like https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ (there may be others but that does California for me) as you might find your stuff there.
Adrian Bruce
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thunder wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:54 Do ancestry think we are made of money to access this website at almost £15 a month!.
No, but they are a commercial enterprise who have a duty to make money for their investors. It costs money to digitise, store & index the resulting scans not to mention the internet bandwidth fees.

We also have to remember that genealogy/family history is a hobby, at one time more or less only open to the rich but these days open to virtually everyone.
I am thankful that so many sites are now available to allow me to research an ever increasing range family history records at a price far cheaper than was ever possible (if the records were even open to public inspection) when I first started my family history research.
People forget the alternative is to travel miles to visit the location where the records are stored, then spend hours or even days laboriously searching heavy unindexed paper records to find the entry. After which the entry may/would have to be transcribed by hand. The costs of travel and accommodation to allow a search far exceeded the sums the various sites charge today, we may not like paying the costs of our hobby but we have to accept that nothing comes without cost.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.