We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Birth record brick wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
ManonChirgwin

Re: Birth record brick wall

Post by ManonChirgwin »

phsvm wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 10:55 If you subscribe to Find My Past you should have access to newspapers without having to fork out for another subscription.
Ive only got basic find my past, but got the 3 free pages with a new British newspaper archive account so managed not to have to start a new subscription at the moment
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

avaline wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 00:15 ADDED: the burial address was 39 Montague Street, West Derby - home to the Thomas family in 1911
This was also JHW's address on his April 1914 marriage record to Amy Matilda.

Out of interest, the 1901 census has a Maria Williams (servant) in Wavertree. Born 1856 in Gobowen. Frustratingly, I can't see her in any census reports prior to 1901. She's single in 1901. Could she be a relative of the Gobowen ladies in question?

Note: Gobowen doesn't appear to be designated as a census place from 1841-1891. So bear that in mind when searching for the Williams ladies.
For 1861-1871 census, possibles are - Civil Parish is Daywell; Sub-Registration District: St Martin; Registration District: Oswestry.
avaline

Post by avaline »

Another post that doesn't move anything forward but might be of interest all the same.

The Blackpool Gazette & Herald 25 Feb 1876 carries an article about the Excelsior lodge of the Independent United Order of Mechanics holding a tea party to raise funds for their Widow & Orphans fund, and amongst the artists engaged was Matthew Walsh, (pianist), Manchester. The article ended "Mr Matthew Walsh excelled, and officiated in a manner that merited the highest commendation"

The same article was in the Fleetwood Chronicle 25 Feb 1876

It may not have been him, of course, but it seems likely.
avaline

Post by avaline »

Also - just in case she turns out to be connected - a possible for Annie Thomas nee Williams, in 1891 in Shrewsbury RG12/2111/54/30
Annie Williams 26 Kitchenmaid b Gabowen, Salop

She appears to be working at the Shrewsbury School, of which Rev. Henry Whitehead Moss was the headmaster.
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

So the 1921 census might have helped with shining a light in some of this (whilst also giving me a headache :lol: )

He’s 37 and 5 months so the January date of birth is right (thank you VALLMO9)

He and his son are also living with Annie & Albert Thomas so they must be family and she must be connected to the other Gobowen woman.

(The headache is that he’s put his place of birth as Liverpool now :lol: )

avaline - thank you so much for the new newspaper report and information about Annie.

And thank you everyone that’s helped with so many possible avenues to answer this question
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Perhaps he was born on the Isle of Man, but his birth registered in Liverpool? Possibly under MMN of Williams?
avaline

Post by avaline »

Odd that Matthew Walsh died i Liverpool but was buried back in Bolton (1901). May be worth obtaining his death certificate to see the name of the informant - might help in tracking his 'wife' (who is possibly JHW's mother) Sarah/Helen?
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, life got in the way then I got locked out by forgetting my password 🙈

VALLM09 - that’s what I thought too but can’t find someone who fits in the Liverpool BMD either, so I’ve sent the archives an email to use the research service to see if I have any luck that way.

avaline - I feel like I’ve seen that somewhere or it was something I knew but I can’t find the information anywhere to get the certificate. Where did you see the information?
avaline

Post by avaline »

Sorry, I didnt get a notification so I've just seen your post.

The headstone is on Findagrave and gives a date of death of 27 Nov 1901, and Deceased Online has a burial at Tonge Cemetery on 30 Nov 1901.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/229 ... thew-walsh
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

No worries, for some reason I’ve not been getting notifications either, at least you didn’t take as long as I did!

Thank you for the link