We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Missing Marriage

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Missing Marriage

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi

Can anyone help pinpoint a marriage between Thomas Rowle (1866-1908, born Twickenham) and Eliza Florence Jones (1879 - ?, born Fulham) please? Their first child is born in 1899 in Chelsea but they are back to Twickenham for the birth of other children. Thomas is a chimney sweep and was probably married before. I can't find a marriage and it's very possible the couple didn't marry despite having several children together. However, it's the final piece in a jigsaw so extra eyes would be very helpful. It is just the marriage, nothing else. Thank you. :D
AntonyM

Re: Missing Marriage

Post by AntonyM »

Are you looking at the RowleS family living in Twickenham in the 1901 census, with children Edith(7) and Florence (1) ?

If so, then Florence, who was born on 2nd Nov 1899 and baptised at St John's, Worlds End, Chelsea seems to appear in the birth indexes under Florence Ada JONES, with no mother's maiden name recorded which would suggest they were not married. But, as always you would need to order a certificate to be certain.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Norfolk Nan

Re: Missing Marriage

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Yes, that's the couple. The eldest child is his, not theirs, suggesting another marriage/relationship. I found him in the 1891 census but that's another story. I suspect they didn't marry but wondered if someone else might find what I couldn't. Thank you. :D