We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Royal Welch Fusiliers

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Royal Welch Fusiliers

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I'm having trouble finding my grandfather in the 1921 census but have found one possibility recorded as a private in the Royal Welch Fusiliers and located in Ireland. No military records show up on Ancestry or FMP so is this going to be impossible to prove or would there be other options I could try to help rule him out or rule him in?

Thank you.
AdrianBruce

Re: Royal Welch Fusiliers

Post by AdrianBruce »

Any personnel records post-1920 are still with the MoD - as you may know.

However, there are 2 possibilities outside that.

FindMyPast has a collection British Army, Royal Welch Fusiliers 1807-1948 which includes (amongst others)
  • Enlistment registers, 1920-1936
  • Enlistment registers, 1938-1946
  • Transfer-in register, 1920-1938
  • Transfer-in registers, 1938-1945
These are sometimes known as Attestation Books. They only have skimpy details of soldiers - one-ish line per person, but it might help to confirm that the 1921 guy is or isn't your GF.

The second possibility is Absent Voters Lists. At that time the AVLs (for postal voters in effect) were still separate books but the problem is that they don't always survive. FindMyPast has them - if you find the ordinary electoral register and GF is in it, then there should be some sort of marker by his name if he's in the AVL - an "a" for Absent Voter or NM if he qualified by being in the Navy or Military... Then the military details will be found in the AVL if it exists....

Be wary that AVLs seem to be out of date in my experience.
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Re: Royal Welch Fusiliers

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you, Adrian. I’m not sure where my GF should be, his family has changed in the decade since 1911 and he is now a young man of about 19. He’s not anywhere I’ve expected him to be and no clever searching has challenged the database. So, he’s either in the army, in prison or abroad…I think. :shock: I’ll take a look at your suggestions - thank you.