We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Have I done it all?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Have I done it all?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi, I'm trying to find the baptism/family for Daniel Green who married Elizabeth Gibbins in Haversham on 5 April 1968, baptised six children between 1768 and 1782 and then died in 1783 in Milton Keynes Village. I know nothing more about him. I assume he is an ag lab and at the time of marriage he was from Little Linford, which is a tiny hamlet with a chapel of ease and a parish register that starts in 1755.

So, I've looked at every Daniel Green born/baptised prior to 1750 in Bucks, Beds and Northants. I've crossed them all off through death or marriage or staying in their place of birth. Daniel didn't leave a will, and I have to assume he was an ag lab. The couple moved to Milton Keynes Village after their marriage and there was just one other Green in the village who had arrived with his new wife a few years before. On the basis that you can't ignore coincidences I looked at this other Green - Thomas - and drafted his family tree but there is no Daniel Green and no will that mentions a Daniel. There is a nice five year gap between Thomas and his next sibling where Daniel would fit in but no evidence. There is also a James Green from Little Linford marrying in Haversham four years after Daniel so I traced his family and drew another blank. No Daniel's in that family.

Daniel had six children and his named his first son John. Thomas named his first son Edmund after his father and James named his William after his father. Taking into account naming trends I think it's a good shot that Daniel's father is John. After Daniel died (Thomas died within a few days and James was already dead) his oldest sons headed to Biggleswade - no idea why - but I wondered if they had Green family there. It was a long shot but I did find a John Green marrying in the 1740s but I didn't find him baptising a Daniel. Short of working through all the Daniels in the whole country I think I have actually hit a brickwall. I've so little information on which to make a connection so I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas that I could try or have I done it all?
sdup26

Re: Have I done it all?

Post by sdup26 »

As you know, to find work, ag labs often travelled quite a bit, and maybe Daniel was one of them. So perhaps you need to spread your search a bit further outwards. For instance, there's a Daniel Green bpt in Birstall, Leicestershire, in 1743, parents John and Ann Green.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

As sdup26 says, I have often been surprised how far some of my own ancestors travelled. We get lulled into thinking that with their lack of modern transport, that they tended to remain rather static. Lots of my own ancestors often travelled 50-100 miles or more to find work. Sadly, without other means to guide you, like wills or censuses, you won’t know for sure where they originally came from. There is a glimmer of hope with some marriage entries, which give clues to where couples and their parents came from.
Good hunting
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Hello Norfolk Nan.
There is a Thomas Greene , a miller at Haversham Mill 1642, and left a will apparently.
http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/hav/docs/mill/mill.html
Is this another Green Family that you haven't seen yet ?
Also if you're expanding your area a search in places along old drove roads might be a good idea, as people often travelled distances with the drovers for safety.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

oh dear, my apologies for not replying sooner. I am sorry.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I don't know why I'm hugging on to the idea that Daniel came from Bucks although I have considered parts of Beds and Northants. Leicestershire seems too far but I won't rule it out of course and will take a look at Birstall. Thomas Greene, miller, is interesting although a century too soon. Still worth considering. Thank you again. :)
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Thomas Green's will. If it's of interest.

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/hav/docs/wi ... s1642.html
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi again, and another apology for a slow response.

Thank you so much for Thomas Greene's will. I am intrigued now and will have to see how far it takes me. Thank you again :D