We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Information on adopted children 1950s

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Erm79

Information on adopted children 1950s

Post by Erm79 »

Adoptions now (as I understand it) are a closed book. If a child is adopted unless they want to get information on their birth parents when they are an adult, no contact is made. A birth parent is given no information about the child and I presume that this may stand even if the child subsequently dies.

I am researching a child who was adopted (born in the 1950s) where the birth mother claimed to know that the child died as an infant, post adoption. The adoption is noted on the child's birth certificate.

Am I right I thinking that (if telling the truth) the only way the mother would know this would be if she knew the family who adopted the child? If the process is as it is now I can see no other possibility.

Secondly, if a child is adopted and given another name, is it only recorded in the Adoption Register ( think I have the name right) , there is no re-registering of the birth in the standard birth index?

As ever many thanks for any help you can offer
AntonyM

Re: Information on adopted children 1950s

Post by AntonyM »

Erm79 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 20:48 Am I right I thinking that (if telling the truth) the only way the mother would know this would be if she knew the family who adopted the child? If the process is as it is now I can see no other possibility.
I've heard of/seen a number of cases of information/letters about the child and their progress being sent between birth mothers and adopted parents, passed on via the adoption agency/social services, so I don't think you can make that assumption. Copies of such letters can sometimes be found in the adoption papers.
Erm79 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 20:48 Secondly, if a child is adopted and given another name, is it only recorded in the Adoption Register ( think I have the name right) , there is no re-registering of the birth in the standard birth index?
(In E/W) the new entry is in the Adopted Children Register (ACR), and there is no link between that and the birth entry that can be accessed, other than by an authorised intermediary. There is never a re-registration in the birth index for an adoption - the only change is the annotation of the original birth entry with the word "adopted"
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Erm79

Post by Erm79 »

Many thanks Antony, once the adoption process was made more formal I was not aware that there could be any contact at all between birth parents and the new family. If this was the case in this situation, a message saying that your child had died must have been very hard to both send and for the mother to receive.

Thank you also for the clarification on birth registration. I didn't think they would be re-registered, but wanted to check.
Erm79

Post by Erm79 »

Another question related to this please which I think you may know the answer to Antony. Would a birth certificate from the 1950s for a child born as one of twins show a time on the certificate?
Many thanks as always
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

it should do, yes.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Erm79

Post by Erm79 »

Thank you Antony, that is very helpful.