We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

George Davison

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

George Davison

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi - can I ask for some advice please?

Charlotta Atkins, formerly Bonnyman, nee Row married George Davison at St Dunstans in the East, city of London in 1773. She came from Penzance, married naval men in Plymouth and Greenwich before marrying George in London. She and George are my ancestors but George is a mystery. The couple lived for over 20 years in the St Luke's area of Chelsea and I have no idea what he did for a living or his origins.

By coincidence Charlotta's second husband was also in Plymouth and marrying his first wife at the same time and in the same church (St Andrews, Plymouth). Both men were in the navy so possibly knew each other. Perhaps George also had a naval career - in the same church I found a marriage in 1747 for a George Davison to an Ann Tomlyn (no Devon baptisms) and a baptism and burial for a George Davison son of George and Elizabeth Davison (no Devon marriage) in February 1749 and in Oct 1749 a baptism for an Elizabeth dau of George and Mary Davison (no Devon marriage).

A search for marriage licence allegations for all three marriages (Devon Archives and FamilySearch) drew a blank, there are two wills for George Davisons with naval links in the TNA but neither provided helpful evidence. I didn't find workhouse records in London for the couple, or for Charlotta alone. None of the records for the couple relating to baptisms and burials give father's occupation or family residence or any other clue. I'm not sure where to look next - any suggestions please?
avaline

Re: George Davison

Post by avaline »

Is Charlotte the one who died in 1832, aged 88 of Chandos Street & buried St Marylebone? What about George?

There is a newspaper notice in 1809 that unless Charlotte Davison takes the goods she left at King Street, Soho, they would be sold to pay the rent due.

Also the LMA has an 1803 insurance record for a Charlotte Davison, Charles Street Middlesex Hospital, Widow, and Mary Flint. Other property mentioned is "the third house east of Dover Street Piccadilly adjoining Hatchetts Hotel; 12 Dover Street Piccadilly (Murray and Co)"

Sticking with that area, there was a George Davison, Victualler of the White Horse, Carnaby Market (1791) and of the Three Jolly Butchers, Clare Market (1792). The same man is mentioned on a jury list in 1791 as being a victualler of Carnaby Market. Apart from the Three Jolly Butchers, the various addresses are within about a mile of each other, but if George is the one who was buried at St Luke in 1790 then it cant be him :|
Norfolk Nan

Re: George Davison

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Avaline

Charlotta died in 1808. And yes, George died in 1790.

Their youngest son, William Augustus, became a cordwainer/shoemaker so I’m wondering about an apprenticeship - I’ve looked at LMA records - no luck yet.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions.