We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

John Bonnyman

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

John Bonnyman

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi

I’m struggling to find the death of John Bonnyman who married Charlotta Row at St Andrew’s, Plymouth, Devon on 10 May 1751. She married again in 1766 so that narrows the search. I believe he was in the navy, possibly a carpenter on HMS Bideford. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
meekhcs

Re: John Bonnyman

Post by meekhcs »

John and Charlota had just one daughter Ann bn 1752, died 1754 in Devon.

HMS Bideford was involved in the 7 years war, suffered damage in battle, lives were lost and some were injured this website gives details of the war
www.dawlishchronicles.com
There may be other sites accessible from google. May account for John's disappearance.
Sally
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

11 June 1762
John Clevland. Mr. Hill has applied for dispensation for an affidavit required to be made by John Bonnyman, Carpenter of the Northumberland, so he can be paid without passing an account because of his death. The Captain has passed his accounts for the time and the Carpenter is since dead so opine the want of an affidavit can be dispensed with.
ADM 354/169/110
Held by National Maritime Museum: The Caird Library and Archive
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /C10258460
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you both.

Sally: I'd found Ann and sadly she was the first of six infant deaths Charlotta suffered. And thanks for the ref to the Seven Years War - an event I know next to nothing about.

Jon: I'd found three earlier TNA records (hence the idea about the Bideford) but had made the mistake of sticking to TNA records only so thank you for digging that bit further.

Thank you again.