We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Eliza Wilson

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
KayFarndon

Eliza Wilson

Post by KayFarndon »

Hello forum users.

This is an enquiry originally posted on the WDYTYA? forum and I need specific information please. I am seeking the death and hopefully burial place, of ELIZA WILSON. She was born Eliza Goddard in 1824, married William Walter Farndon in 1842 and they had four children. She was definitely Eliza and not Elizabeth and only had the one Christian name. Please be aware that I know all about this family, but felt you would need the details.

A widow in 1861, Eliza married Joseph Wilson and they had two children. All these events took place in Warwickshire and her's and Joseph's son Albert was born in Bedworth in 1863 and in 1864 they had a daughter Laura, who was born in the Poplar district of London, to where they had moved. On the 1871 census Joseph is listed as a widower in lodgings and the two children are with his sister Elizabeth, who was married to Charles Radburn, but there is no sign of Eliza. I have searched repeatedly between the birth of Laura in 1864 and 1871 and presume that Eliza was deceased.

Albert married Alice Jane Middlemiss and had four daughters, while Laura appears to have been unmarried with one daughter. I am aware that there were members of Eliza's family which kept in touch with their Midland relatives well into the 1930's, so am assuming that if Eliza's funeral took place in London then there would have been some family members in attendance

On the FreeBMD site there are over 100 deaths of an Eliza Wilson, but none as I can see compatible with my Eliza. All I ask is that if anyone is searching London death records for that period of time, would you please keep a look out for Eliza for me.

My grateful thanks to all who respond to this notice and thank you for reading it.
sdup26

Re: Eliza Wilson

Post by sdup26 »

I know you're searching for Eliza, but on trying the GRO death records, and being careful to tick 'exact match' against the name Eliza, Elizabeth Wilson comes up (aged 41, died SQ 1870 Vol 01C, page 405, Poplar Union). You may have already ruled her out, but I'm passing her entry on, just in case.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

sdup26 wrote: 25 May 2021, 17:20 I know you're searching for Eliza, but on trying the GRO death records, and being careful to tick 'exact match' against the name Eliza, Elizabeth Wilson comes up (aged 41, died SQ 1870 Vol 01C, page 405, Poplar Union). You may have already ruled her out, but I'm passing her entry on, just in case.
Thats the way Freebmd and GRO work. If you search for fred, they will return fred, frederick, frederica etc. If you just enter f, they will return everyone whose forename starts with f. I used to search for f*, but quickly realised the * is not needed.
Many people do not realise that the GRO site works this way, and assume you have to be specific, not so :D
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

KayFarndon wrote: 22 May 2021, 15:35 Albert was born in Bedworth in 1863 and in 1864 they had a daughter Laura, who was born in the Poplar district of London
Albert and Laura were baptized 31 May 1868, at Bedworth
Parents Joseph (Boiler Maker) and Eliza (Elizabeth is crossed out on first one, and perhaps a bit of a struggle with Joseph !)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Y-DTC9-TGL

As the problem is a long standing one, it might be a good idea to list any deaths that have been eliminated.
avaline

Post by avaline »

sdup26 wrote: 25 May 2021, 17:20 I know you're searching for Eliza, but on trying the GRO death records, and being careful to tick 'exact match' against the name Eliza, Elizabeth Wilson comes up (aged 41, died SQ 1870 Vol 01C, page 405, Poplar Union). You may have already ruled her out, but I'm passing her entry on, just in case.
I think this may be the Elizabeth Wilson who died at the Bow Road Workhouse (City of London) on 9 July 1870. She was buried on 14 July at the City of London Cemetery, Ilford. Her admission in 1867 says she was single, last address 169 Fenchurch Street and a note against her discharge (death) says 'supposed insane'.
avaline

Post by avaline »

I’m wondering about the entry in the Lunacy Patients Admission Registers for Eliza Wilson admitted to Grove Hall on 22 Oct 1867. Grove Hall was apparently a private asylum in Bow, which is within the Poplar RD. Eliza was discharged 27 Mar 1871, but marked as ‘No Improvement’.

There is then an admission to Colney (presumably Colney Hatch) on 27 Mar 1871, released on 12 July 1873. Unfortunately the registers don’t give an age and I don’t know what happened to her after the 1873 discharge, but I guess it’s possible this could be ‘your’ Eliza and that Joseph lied when he said he was widowed. The timing would work with the children being sent to his sister.

There are a few people in the Colney Hatch Asylum in 1871 with the initials EW, including a married female aged 47 (born c1824), but unfortunately no PoB is given for any of them. RG10/1334/156/37.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Joseph Wilson the boiler maker is in Bromley (Poplar district) in 1871, a boarder.
Age 40, widower, born Warwickshire Colley croft (Collycroft). Cokey Craft on FamilySearch!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB64-WM7

avaline wrote: 26 May 2021, 01:55 I’m wondering about the entry in the Lunacy Patients Admission Registers for Eliza Wilson admitted to Grove Hall on 22 Oct 1867. Grove Hall was apparently a private asylum in Bow, which is within the Poplar RD.
If there is a chance of the Eliza Wilson who was in Grove Hall going from Poplar, the Poplar Union did have some pauper patients there. They seem to have transferred them elsewhere at the end of 1870/early 1871 (possibly GH was greatly reducing its numbers of pauper patients)
Anyway, Eliza Wilson does not appear to be in the lists of Poplar lunatics at either Grove Hall or (from 1871) Colney Hatch.
Perhaps it was a different Eliza, or another union was responsible for the bill.

avaline wrote: 26 May 2021, 01:55 There is then an admission to Colney (presumably Colney Hatch) on 27 Mar 1871, released on 12 July 1873. Unfortunately the registers don’t give an age and I don’t know what happened to her after the 1873 discharge
12 July 1873 is in the "Relieved" column. Great minds have battled with the exact meaning of this column. I can see for sure that some patients with a mark in this column were in fact transferred to another other lunatic asylum (as with those marked "Not improved").
Another possibility - and I have an example of my own! - is a transfer to an imbecile asylum. Which for Middlesex/London then would probably be Leavesden, or possibly Caterham.
There is an Eliza Wilson in Leavesden asylum in 1881. Age 58, unmarried, occupation Nil, place of birth Not Known. Described as a Lunatic.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27Z-5MQ9

Is she the Eliza who was in Grove Hall and Colney Hatch? Dunno!
avaline

Post by avaline »

Thanks for clarifying that column description Jonwarrn - I'm still learning something new every day :)

On the (now possibly wrong) assumption she was discharged I had wondered if the 1875 death in Poplar was her, but couldn't see a burial or newspaper report: WILSON, ELIZA aged 52 GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in POPLAR Volume 01C Page 495

By 1881 Joseph is in Leicester, where he died in 1902. I've checked his burial (Welford Road Cemetery) and as expected, Eliza is not buried with him. I've also checked Laura on the off-chance, but she was cremated & her ashes scattered.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

I'm not sure though that it's completely clarified!
So many Eliza Wilsons about. There was one in the Bow asylum in 1871!
Perhaps Kay will get back to us, and let us know what she thinks of the lunacy idea, or if anything new has turned up.
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

Thank you so much to all who have responded to my notice, a lot to digest and I will get back with my findings at some point. Some good thoughts there similar to my own.