We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Swan Inn Sedgley Revisited

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
jkmsk

Swan Inn Sedgley Revisited

Post by jkmsk »

Hi the below query was posted on the WDYTYR forum. As you will see I found George’s death, after many years of searching, which is great but thought I would re post on here in case anyone has any other info on George and the Swan Inn etc.
Many Thanks

Swan Inn Sedgley

I have been trying to locate My Great Grandfather George Robinson’s death. I have obtained a death certificate for a George Robinson who’s place of death is Swan Inn Sedgley. This was April 1894, I was wondering does anyone know have any info about swan Inn Sedgley in the 1890’s and was it just a pub etc?

Swan Inn Sedgley

This might be of use, it had tunnels connected to a courthouse.

http://www.officialpubguide.com/pubdeta ... ?pubid=639

Swan Inn Sedgley

Thank you. Interesting to know there were tunnels leading to the court house!

Swan Inn Sedgley

Technically, I believe an ‘Inn’ differed from a Pub, because it also provided accommodation.

Swan Inn Sedgley

If you don’t have it already some details of the death:-

BNA Birmingham Daily Post - Tuesday 01 May 1894

SUDDEN DEATH OF A BIRMINGHAM MAN AT SEDGLEY
Yesterday morning George Robinson, Camp Hill, Birmingham, a foreman in the employ of the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company, was suddenly taken ill whilst superintending the laying of some water mains in Sedgley Parish. He went into the Swan Inn, Gospel End Street, and ordered a glass of whisky, but expired before it was possible to supply him.

Swan Inn Sedgley

Hi,
Great deal of information on 'Hitchmough's Guide to Black Country Pubs'.
Go to www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html. There's a list of free downloads. Scroll down to 'Sedgley 4th Edition' and click on 'HBCP Sedgley 4.pdf.
Once opened scroll down all the pubs to 'Swan' at 88 Gospel End Street, Sedgley. You'll find some 11 pages of information.

Hope that helps,

Swan Inn Sedgley

Thank you so much, think that has confirmed that it’s my George Robinson. It’s been a brick wall for years
Do you have any other info?

Swan Inn Sedgley

Sorry, I can't find anything else in the newspapers. I have a possible sight of him in the 1891 Census though if that's of interest. It gives his birthplace as London and gives him married to a Sarah A Robinson, born Stoney Stratford.