We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Emily Turner and her son Sidney Tokeley Turner.

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
pforkes

Emily Turner and her son Sidney Tokeley Turner.

Post by pforkes »

Emily Turner is my 2nd great aunt. She was born on 26th Mar 1866 in Little Cornard, Suffolk. She was christened on 20 May 1866 at All Sant’s Church, Little Cornard, Suffolk.

Her parents were James Turner (1839—1896) and Catharine Sarah Jennings (1841—1904).

In the 1871 census, she is living with her parents (and siblings) at Lower Road, Little Cornard, Suffolk, England.
In the 1881 census, she is living at High Street, Haverhill, Suffolk, England where she is working as a general servant.

On 31 Mar 1889 at 8:30 p.m. (at Helions Bumpstead, Essex) she gave birth to Lizzie Tokeley Turner and at 8:45 p.m. she gave birth to Sidney Tokeley Turner. The father was Walter William Tokeley (whom she never married). All of this information was on the birth certificates of these two children.

Her daughter (Lizzie Tokeley Turner) died on 24 Jul 1893, in Great Kenney, Essex, where Lizzie was living with her grandfather (William Tokley). I do not know what happened to her son (Sidney) nor do I know what happened to Emily Turner.

Can any of you help me to find out what happened to Emily Turner and her son Sidney Tokeley Turner?
Templ4r

Re: Emily Turner and her son Sidney Tokeley Turner.

Post by Templ4r »

Seems to be him according to a few trees. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find- ... %20TURNER/

He drowned and Annie Chapman is named as his Aunt, adoptive mother on pension records.

Annie married Frederick Chapman 22 may 1893 at Helions Bumpstead. So it looks like it is him.
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

I think I might have found Emily but the 1901 census isn't very good. On The Genealogist there is indexed a Stephen Treen, but if you trace him he comes up as Stephen Green. He's from Bumpstead, born 1845. He has 2 wives, Eleanor and Elizabeth and marries an Emily Turner in 1893 in Tottenham, which matches the births of the 3 children in 1901. Emilys father is James and his is John, which matches the census sheets.
He marries Eleanor Turner in Bromley in 1866, I think she's a relative of Emily as her father was born Bury st Edmonds, they are with him in 1871.

In 1901 there is a son aged 12, Sidney, born Bumpstead, I think that's Emily and Sidney.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/search ... 1026999974
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

Wow! Thank you for that.

If I may ask, what was the process that you went through to find this? if I understand your process that I can use it myself and so I can learn from it.

Again, thank you.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Wasn't Sidney Tokeley Turner covered in a previous WDYTYR post, as well? His name sounds very familiar (like the Albert Hill posting).
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

Search for Sidney by first name, place and year of birth.
Search by First name and use wildcards... useful when transcription or indexing is wrong, say you were looking for Mary Hatherley, type Mary Hat*, that will bring up any variations.
Stephen came up with place and year of birth, but try occupation as a keyword. If you can't find someone in one census when they are in the same area for the census before and after use wildcards such as Stephen G* or Builder, that will list all Builders.

There are loads of tricks you pick up but the main one that works for me is when you get a brickwall, don't hit it head on, go around it. The easiest one that gets missed is if your ancestor was born before 1837, look for a sibling born after on the census' and that will give the mothers maiden name. Unless the father married again before 1841 there's a good chance it's the same mother. If you have baptism records, they will show if the mothers have the same name.

Don't assume they are in or from the same area you found them. If you can't find the one you want, look for a sibling. You might want a Helen, but she's down as Nellie or Ellen. In 1911 you will find Nellie and Willie Green (1901)down as Ellen and William.
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

I did not even know that you could use wildcards (*)!!!

That is going to be REALLY helpful.

Thank you.
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

I think this is Sidney in 1904. He gives next of kin as Aunt, Mrs Chapman. I'd say he lied about his age. It's the same Regiment but his number is different. 8458 against 8328 when he died. Gives place of birth as Steeple Bumpstead. Probably why he can't be found on the 1911.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... %2F1426812

This lists where he was posted.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... SD/0220752
Erm79

Post by Erm79 »

There was a post on this in 2017 on WDYTYA forum about Sidney - although research largely focused on what happened to mother Emily, just to save anyone repeating

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... irefox-b-d

The link is an old cached page, can't find the other one referred to in the thread
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

You are right, the question from three years ago was from me. But, three years had passed and I had made no progress, so I thought that I would ask again…and it had paid off!

I started researching my family tree back in late 2000 (twenty years ago). Emily Turner is the last of my 2nd great aunts for me to fully track down - birth date, marriage date, death date, and the name and birth dates of all of her children!

Her death certificate was ordered today and I Will have not at the end of next week.

For me, this is a BIG step for me.

As a bonus, I have managed to track down her son (Sidney Tokeley Turner). Double whammy!