We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Brick Wall - Raymond Carey Webb b.1893

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VenomousSeraphim

Brick Wall - Raymond Carey Webb b.1893

Post by VenomousSeraphim »

My great grandfather's name was Raymond Carey Webb b.1893. I know he was born in 1893 because he 's registered on the 1939 Directory under that name. That name is also associated with Doreen Lucy Udall, my great grandmother whose name I know is right because I have her whole family tree. Raymond Carey Webb didn't marry Doreen Lucy Udall, because it is believed he was already married. Although Doreen did use the name Webb as her surname. They had 5 children together. She also used the surname Siddons as her maiden name when registering the births of her youngest two children and used the middle initials M E. No idea why.

In 1928 my grandfather was born, and the address given on his birth certificate was 34 Malvern Road, Bournemouth, Dorset. Although they'd never lived there. The resident at that address' name was John Head. Raymond Carey Webb registered to vote in 1931 in Poole, Dorset. Raymond Carey Webb was stopped by police in 1932 in Hazelbury Bryan, Dorset for driving erratically. He was charged with driving without a license.

Raymond Carey Webb has no birth record, no marriage record and no death record. Raymond Carey Webb doesn't exist. There is nobody with that name.

Raymond Webb b.1893 was born in Brinkworth, Wiltshire. He married Daisy May Carey, had two children and died in 1964 in Chippenham, Wiltshire.
Charles Raymond Webb b.1892 Wandsworth, London, died in 1955 at Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset. I'm doubtful that's him because my mother was born in 1952 and remembers him at a much older age.

These are the only two possible Raymond's it could be, if the name is right and the birth year is right. My great grandfather used the names Ramon, Tom, Thomas and George... His grandchildren thought his name was Tom. He's registered as Ramon on his older two children's baptismal records. Nobody has any idea when he died. The only person left alive who would have an idea is my mother's mother, who is 90 and has dementia.

I am determined to figure out who this man really is.
woodchal

Re: Brick Wall - Raymond Carey Webb b.1893

Post by woodchal »

Ultimately DNA may be your answer, but an odd idea....

There is clearly a circumstantial connection to the Raymond Webb b.1893 in Brinkworth, Wiltshire and married Daisy May Carey. I doubt if there are too many “Carey”s. On the 1939 register this Raymond Webb is a haulier DOB given as 6/9/1891.

Raymond Carey Webb was stopped by police in 1932 in Hazelbury Bryan, Dorset for driving erratically. He was charged with driving without a license.

The registration of births at false addresses – who registered the birth him or Doreen.

It's all a bit "iffy"

Is there any possibility that Raymond was running two households? Hazelbury Bryan might just be on a back roads route between the two. If you did have something to hide you wouldn’t produce a driving licence. As a haulier he might have had a reason to be away

Have you looked at the criminal records or newspapers to see if the story of the traffic incident was reported or even if something emerged at the only known death – did Doreen report her “partner” missing.

Also

On the 1939 register Doreen “Webb” uses “ME.” as middle initials as well, which coupled with the ME in the Siddons name on the birth registrations feels that the ME must be significant. On the 1939 register this appears to have been corrected in green ink to “L” with a reason code? of “010”. The 1939 register has the address as a named house “Bernadette” in Rossmore Road.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thinking outside the box: perhaps he wasn't born in England (or Wales). That could explain why you can't locate a likely birth for him. Unless he was British-born - with a sly repertoire of names to play around with.

Have you followed up the addresses on the other children's birth certificates (if you have them)? What are RCW's known occupation(s)? When is the last known "sighting" of him? Is it the 1939 Register?

And I have to ask: is his surname (as you know it to be) "Webb" or is it "Carey-Webb"?

You mention that two of the children are registered with a MMN of "Siddons". Gosh, my family has done some suspect things when it comes to birth and marriage registrations. But a mother alternating maiden names is a new one on me, especially when one is seemingly unrelated. :?
VenomousSeraphim

@woodchal, @Vallmo9,

I have only just received the first child's birth certificate, thanks to covid- holding everything up.. and the father was the one registering the birth, which is why I plan to get a copy of the fourth child's birth certificate to see what Mum registered Dad as. The family name is Webb, according to all certificates that we are in possession of. I did try searching for a Carey-Webb but got nowhere.

I also contacted the police about the traffic violation, but no records were available. The archives only go back to 1950.

As far as the Kelly's Directory says, he was an Electrician... and the last sighting of him was the 1939 Directory. I searched FamilySearch.org with all variants of Raymond (Ramon, Raymund, Raimand etc) and Carey Webb, leaving the location blank... masses of Raymond Webb's but not a Carey amongst them, apparently not in the world.
VenomousSeraphim

@Woodchal,
There is clearly a circumstantial connection to the Raymond Webb b.1893 in Brinkworth, Wiltshire and married Daisy May Carey. I doubt if there are too many “Carey”s. On the 1939 register this Raymond Webb is a haulier DOB given as 6/9/1891.
Which is also strange because I tracked down the family of this Raymond Webb and have a birthdate of 6/9/1894. :?: With a baptismal date of 14/10/1894.
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

Interesting that it’s Raymond that registered the births. Try newspaper websites.

He would probably have been called up to WW1- have you looked at military records
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

There are lots of newspaper records for Raymond Webb of Brinkworth who appeared to have a road haulage business, mainly conerning gtraffic offences by his drivers.
However, he tried to evade his call up to WW1, and there are several newspaper references to this on FMP
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

VenomousSeraphim wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 20:27 She also used the surname Siddons as her maiden name when registering the births of her youngest two children and used the middle initials M E. No idea why.
Based on the above, I presumed you already have all the birth certificates. But now it sounds like you discovered the Siddons MMN from the GRO Index records. I'd wait until you obtain all the birth certs, in order to ascertain which parent registered the births. Then follow-up on the addresses given. Sometimes a seemingly insignificant detail on a BMD certificate(s) can pay dividends with resolving research dead ends.

In terms of a "mystery" ancestor, always work with what you know (e.g. details on BMD certs, etc). Even if those details are deliberately "camouflage" hopefully they'll indicate a pattern to work with.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Just so that everyone is aware this same post is running on Rootschat Forum as well as here.
Everything that has been unearthed here also appears on Rootschat.
To save yourself time, and duplication, you might like to check in with Rootschat before carrying out further research on this post.

Sally
Sally