We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Sharing a family tree

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Norfolk Nan

Sharing a family tree

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi, this is the first time I’ve been asked for a digital copy of a family tree by a family member and I’m stumped. My trees are all on Family Historian. I’d like to download a copy of a tree and then email it to someone who doesn’t have any Genealogical experience or software so what’s the simplest way?

Thank you.
AdrianBruce

Re: Sharing a family tree

Post by AdrianBruce »

Print the relevant bits to Acrobat .PDF - if the tree is any size, that may make it too complex to appear as one tree, but that applies to any scenario.
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Well, it’s 15 A4 landscape pages - I printed it out - so I think it’s teetering on the too big side. (My own tree is 40 pages so far :o ) I suppose one answer is to break it down into branches.

Has anyone used a printing service?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

You could always send them a copy of an exported gedcom file from FH. There are plenty of free gedcom viewer apps around (IOS and Android) with which to view it. That way they get all the details too!
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Worth considering, although I'm not sure it would work with the folks who wanted the info. I might give it a try anyway, a trial run of sorts... :lol:
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

A lot of print shops will print out a large pdf file on large sheets of paper. Most pdf “printers” allow you to set a size in mm/inches, including probably the one which comes with Family Historian
Paul
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I hoped someone would say they'd used a print shop, either in person or via email - I'd seen an ad in the genealogy press somewhere but didn't keep the details (duh!). As it is, I've sent this relative a paper version with lots of pages cellotaped together. The recipient isn't computer savvy so asking her to download software etc wasn't helpful. But, I will have to explore how to do this again for future reference. I rarely share trees so I'm not up to speed on the easiest way either. Note to self... :lol: