We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Military death certificate

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Brunes08

Military death certificate

Post by Brunes08 »

I am looking for a death certificate (for a friend) for her grandfather. He was an army major who died in Germany in October 1946. We know where he was buried and he is listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site. Where would I find a death certificate for him?
AdrianBruce

Re: Military death certificate

Post by AdrianBruce »

Try "British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials" on FindMyPast. The stuff comes from various places - the GRO stuff is an index, so you have to apply for the certificate from the GRO. Consular stuff also appears to be indexes from the GRO, though I'm sure that I've seen actual copies of foreign death certificates - possibly just not for that era.
Adrian Bruce
Brunes08

Post by Brunes08 »

Thank you Adrian. I’ll look at your suggestions.
avaline

Post by avaline »

If you do order it, then be aware that its unlikely to give much information regarding the cause of death. I ordered one for a Great Uncle who was in the Home Guard, and the only details of his death were 'due to war operations".
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

avaline wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 13:46 If you do order it, then be aware that its unlikely to give much information regarding the cause of death. I ordered one for a Great Uncle who was in the Home Guard, and the only details of his death were 'due to war operations".
That's right because the UK didn't want (rightly) to give out details of military operations to the enemy.
Brunes08

Post by Brunes08 »

Thank you for the information on cause of death. I will pass that on to my friend.