We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Eliza, Catharine and William Riley

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Eliza, Catharine and William Riley

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Very possible! I have yet to find a connection between Eliza and Peter and until I do I could imagine any explanation :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

If you look at 15 Caroline Street in the 1871 census (the actual house number is obscured on the image) it does look like a lodging house. In fact, there's an Eleanor Fellows there -- lodging house keeper. And according to an 1867 London Gazette entry, that address was indeed a lodging house.

Personally, I don't think there's a family connection between Peter and the Edwards family. All they had in common was a lodging address at the same time. But I could be proved wrong...
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 10 Sep 2021, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

On Ancestry, there's the 1854 baptism record (with image)for William Edwards. Location is St George Hanover Square. Mother: Eliza Edwards.
Birth Date: 20 Jan 1854
Baptism Date: 8 Feb 1854

It may be another yet workhouse birth, as per the image. Oh dear...
In the Abode column, looks like a bracket (?) with "workhouse" written next to it for the bottom three children on the page. William is the third name from bottom. Eliza's profession is "servant".

At least you'll have the info now, and receive the birth cert PDF in a few days. :D

Chris - who was the informant on Eliza's 1894 death cert? And just curious...what was the cause of death?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Ah, thank you Mo, I'll take a look at William Edwards. I've noticed that the certificates for workhouse children don't provide any more info than what we see in the images. Where is Catherine? I assume aged 2 she'd be in the workhouse too unless left with a neighbour? How will we ever know.

Of course, all my 'evidence' doesn't really prove much when you consider your point about lodging houses etc. I only have all three in one place twice - 1871 they are all called Riley including granddaughter Catherine, in 1871 Eliza and William are still Riley, Catherine is married. We are assuming that a) Edwards is Eliza's actual name based on an absence of a baptism in Wiltshire but we're basing everything else on an absence of evidence - no marriage means no connection with Peter Riley for example. If we think Eliza has taken on Riley unofficially Catherine could have done the same with Edwards and that might be the red herring.

As for Eliza's death, she died of broncho pneumonia and the death was registered by William. I'd like to know where she was in 1891 because she wasn't with either of her family. He reported she was the widow of Peter Riley, army pensioner - something he does at every opportunity. Anyway, all good grist for the family history research bone... :lol:
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Until you receive William's birth cert you won't know which workhouse he was born in. Once you establish that fact, see if those workhouse records are available. They might be, but possibly not for circa 1854.

Also, you now have Eliza's middle name (Elizabeth) from Catherine's birth cert. Search for any Eliza Elizabeth's in the Wiltshire town she says she's from. Wasn't it Highworth or Hannington? I think one is part of the other.

If there are several women with the same name (born c1820) you'll need to eliminate each one until you settle on your Eliza.

Of course Edwards could be a step-father's surname.

Stick with finding Eliza in the 1851 census, and also any newspaper reports at the time. Like I suggested earlier, Catherine may not have been her first child (at age 32). See if there are any pre-1852 births/baptisms in Islworth or Wiltshire with a single mother named Eliza Elizabeth.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 11 Sep 2021, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 10:35 I've noticed that the certificates for workhouse children don't provide any more info than what we see in the images.
Not strictly true. I've seen many baptism records over the years which offer an additional piece of information when compared to the birth cert. Particularly when there is a long gap between birth and baptism. Sometimes there are changes to a parental situation (e.g. father's occupation); or there is a different abode (if the family have moved after the birth). So always check for online baptisms, as well.