We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

John Edgar JEWELL

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Greaves

John Edgar JEWELL

Post by Greaves »

John Edgar JEWELL (JOEL) was born in 1849 in Siddington in Gloucestershire, the son of John JEWELL and Caroline ALLEN.

In 1875 he married Emily Mary JONES, who was born in Cirencester in 1854. The couple stayed in the same area and had six children: Ernest Edward (b 1876), Edith Alice (b1877), Ada Priscilla (b1879), Evelyn Adelaide (b1881), Samuel (b1883) and Caroline Allen (b1886).

In the 1881 census, the couple were living in Siddington with his mother and four children, The youngest aged 2m is named as Caroline but must have been Evelyn.

By the 1891 census, Emily has disappeared, presumably dead. John Edgar (39) is now living in Tewkesbury with Clara (24), who is described as his "second wife" and was born in Chalford, though I can find no record of a marriage. They have four of the six children with them, Ernest and Edith having departed.

The 1901 census finds John Edgar (52) living in Tewkesbury with a third wife, named Mary (42). This is as far as I can ascertain Mary HARWOOD, who was born in Wheatenhurst in 1866 and married Arthur Octavius AMOS in 1888 at Whitminster. She had one child that I know of with Arthur, namely Arthur Frederick AMOS (1891-1900). According to the 1901 census, John Edgar and Mary are living with three children: Emily (14), William (3) and Agnes (1). From the ages I presume that Emily is in fact Caroline, who was born in 1886.

Altogether, John Edgar and Mary had three children: William George (b1897), Agnes Edith (b1900) and Albert Edward (b1902).

John Edgar died in Cheltenham in 1904.

This leaves me with a number of questions and gaps.

Q1 What happened to Emily Mary JEWELL (née JEWELL)? I can find no record of her death, which was presumably between 1886 and 1891.

Q2 Who was Clara? As I have said I can find no record of a marriage. Were they unable to marry, because Emily was still alive? There was a Clara Annie WHEATLEY born in Chalford in 1876, which fits, but I can find no proof as to whether this is my Clara.

Q3 When and where did John Edgar and Mary AMOS marry? Again I can find no record. Was Emily still alive? Certainly when Mary re-married in 1909 to Charles BARNES, she is named on the wedding register as Mary JEWELL (widow), suggesting that she did marry John Edgar.

Q4 What happened to Mary BARNES? I can find no record of her death.

There are numerous other questions concerning the various children, but these are minor areas of interest. I know what happened to some of them, but not all. Eventually I will follow up on them, but for now my concentration is on the four questions outlined above.
VALLMO9

Re: John Edgar JEWELL

Post by VALLMO9 »

Greaves wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 12:27 Q2 Who was Clara? There was a Clara Annie WHEATLEY born in Chalford in 1876, which fits, but I can find no proof as to whether this is my Clara.
Actually, the 1891 census for "wife" Clara (age 24) suggests a birth year of c1867 (not 1876). So Clara Annie WHEATLEY isn't a good fit, because she is presumably Annie Wheatley (servant) with the Lewis family (1891 census - Minchinhampton).

As an aside, have you seen the August 1871 newspaper reports for an Edgar Jewell (young labourer) of Siddington. Charged with assault on a Mary Ann Harrison with intent to commit rape.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

VALLMO9 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 21:29
Greaves wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 12:27 Q2 Who was Clara? There was a Clara Annie WHEATLEY born in Chalford in 1876, which fits, but I can find no proof as to whether this is my Clara.
Actually, the 1891 census for "wife" Clara (age 24) suggests a birth year of c1867 (not 1876). So Clara Annie WHEATLEY isn't a good fit, because she is presumably Annie Wheatley (servant) with the Lewis family (1891 census - Minchinhampton).

As an aside, have you seen the August 1871 newspaper reports for an Edgar Jewell (young labourer) of Siddington. Charged with assault on a Mary Ann Harrison with intent to commit rape.
For information the British Newspaper Archive shows through newspaper reports that at the Chichester Petty Sessions Edgar Jewell was found guilty of aggravated assault, the rape charge having been dropped due to lack of evidence.
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

Thanks for the above.

I agree that Clara Wheatley is almost certainly not the correct person, though ages based on census returns are notoriously unreliable.

The newspaper report is new to me. I will have a look and come back with my thoughts.

Once again many thanks for helping out with what is a very difficult family, even the children of the various marriages/associations are proving difficult to track. Caroline Allen, for instance, marries Bert HIGHLEY in 1911 in Wales and has a child with him in 1918. She and the child then disappear from all records, with her husband eventually passing away in 1933. Another daughter Ada Priscilla (1879-1969), marries Thomas PEART in 1901 and has several children with him between 1901 and 1914. There is then a number newspaper articles indicating that she was co-habiting with an army deserter in Wales in 1917. She was charged in 1918 with concealing the deserter, who she then married in 1923. However, Thomas PEART appears to be alive after 1923!

So complicated to say the least.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thunder wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 00:12 For information the British Newspaper Archive shows through newspaper reports that at the Chichester Petty Sessions Edgar Jewell was found guilty of aggravated assault, the rape charge having been dropped due to lack of evidence.
Thunder - I don't have full access to online newspaper reports, so I could only make out a brief portion of the criminal charges, which mentioned the intent to rape. I'm curious as to the "lack of evidence" regarding the rape charge being dropped.

Also, it appears the OP's thread for this family is currently running on Rootschat: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.p ... c=851458.9
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

The thread on Rootschat is specifically about his daughter who married and moved to Wales. I pu
Laced it on their Monmouthshire board in the hope of attracting a few local experts.

In this thread, I wanted the focus to be on the three “wives” and their fares.

I saw them as separate lines of enquiry.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

VALLMO9 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 20:38
Thunder wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 00:12 For information the British Newspaper Archive shows through newspaper reports that at the Chichester Petty Sessions Edgar Jewell was found guilty of aggravated assault, the rape charge having been dropped due to lack of evidence.
Thunder - I don't have full access to online newspaper reports, so I could only make out a brief portion of the criminal charges, which mentioned the intent to rape. I'm curious as to the "lack of evidence" regarding the rape charge being dropped.

Also, it appears the OP's thread for this family is currently running on Rootschat: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.p ... c=851458.9
If you want to send me a personal message I will give you the details, it's not that bad but I am reluctant to post it on an open forum. Thanks.