We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Land Tax Records

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
BeeJayEss

Land Tax Records

Post by BeeJayEss »

Just come across in Ancestry’s Land Tax Records 1692 – 1932, a record for William Avent in 1825. The amount was recorded in the “Redeemed” column, with nothing in the “Land Tax” or “Personal Duty” columns. This is new to me; can anyone tell me what the different columns mean please. Thanks in advance.
Bev
AdrianBruce

Re: Land Tax Records

Post by AdrianBruce »

So far as I understand it, the "Land Tax" column is for the, ahem, Land Tax. If you want to understand how it's calculated, I have a vague idea that the answer is go and lie down until the desire passes - it looked simple in my recollection but turned out to have complications.

Redemption(?) was the processing of making one single payment that would remove that land from the necessity of ever paying it again. See https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/En ... Institute) Now whether the amount in the Redeemed column was the value of the payment to redeem the tax, or whether it listed what the tax would have been but putting it in the Redeemed column meant that it had been redeemed so wouldn't be collected, I don't know. That link implies that the Redemption amounts were substantial.

Personal Duty, I can't help on, I'm afraid - Google just picks up way to many uses of that phrase in totally different contexts.
Adrian Bruce
BeeJayEss

Re: Land Tax Records

Post by BeeJayEss »

Thanks Adrian, that's very helpful.
Bev