We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Was he her Father or not?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Colin W

Was he her Father or not?

Post by Colin W »

Selina Lena Hatherley and Charles John Heale got married on the 19th November 1899. Then on the 18th April 1906 Lena was born.

On Lena’s birth certificate it does not show who the father was and her surname was kept to Hatherley.

I take it then that Charles John Heale was not her father? If so, how can I find out who it was?

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Was he her Father or not?

Post by VALLMO9 »

Colin - are you sure you have the right family? The Charles John Heale you refer to did marry a Selina Hatherley in 1899. They appear in the 1901 and 1911 census records with daughter Ellen (born 1900).

Because Selina has been researched quite a bit on this Forum and previously on the WDYTYR Forum, it's been ascertained that there are several women named Selina Hatherley in Devon at this time. So you need to take this into consideration when searching.

If memory serves, wasn't your Selina with son Edward Fear Hatherley (age 1 month) in the Totnes Workhouse? Then in 1917 Selina married Charles Pearce in Totnes. I think this marriage was agreed upon by Forum members as being the correct one for your ancestor.

1911 census
Name: Selina Hatherley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Brixham, Devon
Street Address: The Totnes Union Workhouse, Plymouth Road, Totnes
Marital status: Single
Registration District: Totnes
Registration District Number: 273
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Piece: 12832

Is this daughter Lena in the 1911 census? I think I found her previously - on the WDYTYR Forum:

Name: Lena Hatherley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
Birth Place: Totnes
Civil Parish: Paignton
Street Address: 13 Norton Terrace, Paignton
Registration District: Totnes
Registration District Number: 273
Sub-registration District: Paignton
ED, institution, or vessel: 08
Piece: 12796

Colin - if you have a family tree on Ancestry, can I make a suggestion? It might help to remove the incorrect people, and add the correct people. Such as the folks above, along with these relevant census and marriage records.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 24 Oct 2020, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Colin W wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 17:50 I take it then that Charles John Heale was not her father? If so, how can I find out who it was?
Refer to this helpful WDYTYR link: https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... ancestors/

Also, son Edward Fear Hatherley died in 1992 in Torbay. He may have married in 1932. His middle name is unusual, so perhaps his father's surname was Fear. But it's purely conjecture and speculation.
Artognou

Post by Artognou »

VALLMO9 wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 18:44
Colin W wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 17:50 I take it then that Charles John Heale was not her father? If so, how can I find out who it was?
Refer to this helpful WDYTYR link: https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... ancestors/

Also, son Edward Fear Hatherley died in 1992 in Torbay. He may have married in 1932. His middle name is unusual, so perhaps his father's surname was Fear. But it's purely conjecture and speculation.
This is very true, I have done some research for a former neighbour and a very good friend, and one of her distant aunts was baptised in Northamptonshire (all of her other half-siblings were born in the West of Oxfordshire), her mother moved to Northamptonshire when she became widowed and she baptised her youngest child under the surname of her now reasonably long dead husband, but the child's middle name was the surname of a man who she was a servant for and later married!
Sometimes, though, a middle name in these circumstances can throw up more questions and confusion!
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

My mother was born the "wrong side of the blanket" - and one of her middle names is her father's surname. She had also met her father several times, so there were no doubts whatsoever.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Here is son Edward in the 1939 Register on Ancestry:

Name: Edward Hartherley
Marital status: Married
Birth Date: 6 Mar 1911
Address: 8 Broadlands Rd
Residence Place: Paignton, Devon, England