We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Can you help me to read the place of birth?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
pforkes

Can you help me to read the place of birth?

Post by pforkes »

The birthplace is near to Wroughton, Wiltshire. It looks like "Luidhampton" but I can't tell.

Can you read the name of the birthplace?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 5.10.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 5.10.40 AM.png (771.86 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Mick Loney

Re: Can you help me to read the place of birth?

Post by Mick Loney »

Quidhampton, which is located just west of Salisbury, on the A36. I can’t make out what is beneath quidhampton, as image is cropped, but it could be Netherampton, which is just below Quidhampton
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

The cropped place name is Wroughton. This would make the place of birth as being Quidhampton Wroughton.

However, Quidhampton and Wroughton are about 40 miles away from each other.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I can see your confusion, as Quidhampton being near Saliisbury, wouldn’t be in Swindown RD. i can only assume there is another Quidhampton near Swindown and Wroughton, i.e. in Swindon RD.
I’ll investigate further, nothing like a good challenge :D
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

There is a Quidhampton Wood, just west of Wroughton, so the name is local to Wroughton! Perhaps this area is known to the locals as Quidhampton!.
By the way, I just googled Quidhampton, Swindon, it often throws up answers :D
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

Wow! That was both quick and informative!
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I quote the following from British History on line: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/w ... /pp235-252

It has been suggested that a small settlement at Quidhampton (sometimes pronounced 'Quiddington'), (fn. 33) lying below the ridge in Salthrop tithing, was destroyed by a landslide in the 19th century. (fn. 34) Reference to a chapel in the 16th century gives weight to the suggestion that there was a hamlet at Quidhampton, (fn. 35) and a substantial farm-house in the area, perhaps the remains of Quidhampton manor-house, was destroyed by a landslide c. 1822. (fn. 36) At Overtown, which lies entirely on the chalk upland part of the parish, faint traces of earthworks in the park-land south of Overtown House may indicate another small settlement. (fn. 37) The tithing of Westlecott, in two portions, contained no hamlet. Chilton Farm lies in the southern portion. The history of the northern portion, in which lies Westlecott Farm, has been closely connected with that of Swindon within which much of it lay after 1934. (fn. 38)