We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Albert Hill - my 2nd great uncle.

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
pforkes

Albert Hill - my 2nd great uncle.

Post by pforkes »

Albert Hill is my 2nd great uncle who was born on 6th December 1865 in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. His parents were Alfred Hill (1865—1930) and Elizabeth Barker (1840—1920).
He was christened on 17 December 1868 in Walsoken, Norfolk.

I have found no entry for him in the 1871 census. Nor have I found any entries in the 1871 census for his parents or his siblings: (Elizabeth Hill - 11 Aug 1867—20 Mar 1957); Elizabeth Hill (14 Jun 1870—19 Aug 1963); and Ellen Hill (25 Sep 1872—?).

His parents and his sisters Elizabeth and Cecilia are on the 1881 census, but he is not.

I believe that on the 1911 census he is: living at Salvation Army, Middlesex Street, London, England; a widower; and a fisherman.

I also believe that he may have died on 7 Jun 1945 at 10 London Street, Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire.

Can anyone help me to fill in any of the blanks, such as:

* Where is the 1871 census entry?
* Who did he marry (and when)?
VALLMO9

Re: Albert Hill - my 2nd great uncle.

Post by VALLMO9 »

1871 census - there's an Alfred Hill (age 27) boarding in New Sleaford, Lincolnshire. If he's Albert's father, then the rest of the family must be elsewhere (separately or together). I note that Albert (age 14) is in a reform school in 1881 in Worcestershire.

UK, Royal Naval Reserve Service Records Index, 1860-1955
Name: Albert Hill
Birth Date: 1 Dec 1865
Birth Place: Wisbeach, Cambridgeshire
Date: 1908-1955
Service Number: TC 19

TNA have the Naval record above with image (free if you sign in).
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

For a bit of background, I hope it is useful to those trying to help Peter.
Sorry, long urls had to be shortened.

"The case of the missing Hill"
First published by WDTYA forum in January 2017
https://tinyurl.com/y26ozygd

A follow up later in the year
"Albert Hill is my great grand uncle.."
I see that Mr. Bee got the wrong death for Ellen :o
https://tinyurl.com/yyzzdaf5

"My great grand uncle’s War Record."
Help from a military expert, possibly Mr. B38, if so will be hard to improve on.
https://tinyurl.com/y3ttnuo6
"Hopefully the quality of the image has not been deteriorated too much" - I am afraid it has, it hasn't survived!

And it is good to know that older bits of the forum are still out there...just about!
pforkes

Post by pforkes »

I'm not making much progress with Albert Hill.

Would the next step be to engage a professional genealogist, and if so how would I go about this (considering that I now live in Las Vegas, USA)?

Or is there an intermediate step?

Peter
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

TBH you have to be so careful when hiring a researcher there are excellent ones, but there are also others who take your money and simply confirm the research you have already done!!

I have gone down that route, but I think you are just as well served by asking questions here or Rootschat.

If you do decide to hire someone then by all means ask on here for recommendations, or try and find one local to the area you know he lived in.
Sally
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

An intermediate step, find something new!
As Albert was in the shelter in London in 1911, I wondered if he might turn up in the poor law records that are on ancestry.
There are a few possible Alberts of the right age in the workhouse admissions, usually a labourer, but one at least is definitely him.

Albert Hill, born 1865, Fisherman, admitted to Fulham Palace Road workhouse, 10 Dec 1910.
Said to be single :o
Religion C of E, admitted from St Margaret
The union is St George Hanover Square.

There is a book of "New Cases" on ancestry,
Albert Hill, age 46, Fisherman, admitted 10 December, settlement is Wisbeach
Employment suited for - oakum
Does it say he was transferred?
Again, it says he is Single

See this in London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1926
Borough - Westminster / Parish or Poor Law Union - Westminster / Record Type - Miscellaneous / Workhouses and Institutions, 1908-1912 / Image 172

Another record here (two images)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3NK-HS3V-D

If there was an examination of Albert in St George, I am a little pessimistic that it will have survived.
So is Albert's marital status in the 1911 census wrong?

Albert Hill was discharged from Fulham Road, 5 January 1911
An Albert Hill of similar age, labourer, was admitted next day, 6 Jan 1911, to Sheffield Street Workhouse, Strand Union.
Was he then sent on to their workhouse at Edmonton the following day, and discharged 11 Jan?
Again, an Albert Hill, a General Lab, born circa 1866, in the Mint Street workhouse in Southwark for a few days, 2-6 Feb 1911.
Could they all be the same man?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

jonwarrn wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:47 Could they all be the same man?
The creed register for the Strand Union workhouse at Edmonton says that Albert Hill was admitted from S.A S Kean St
Which is the Salvation Army Shelter, Kean Street
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... YF-X?i=565
avaline

Post by avaline »

From his record at the National Archives, he was on the Trawler section, which would make sense with him being a fisherman and also with the Grimsby reference.

I wonder if there is anything here that may help, especially perhaps 208/5 - Grimsby fishing vessel crew lists, 1884-1914

http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/includes ... ?loc_id=48
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

pforkes wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 23:59 I also believe that he may have died on 7 Jun 1945 at 10 London Street, Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire.
Looking at the 1939 Register, there is an Albert Hill at that address.
He is married, a labourer, born 13 Nov 1862
Also there are Jane Hill (married), b 1870, household duties, Lenard Hill, b 1913, and Alfred Hill, b 1927 (possibly was illegitimate?)

Not sure at the moment exactly who they all are.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

pforkes wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 02:37 Or is there an intermediate step?
It's a little bit difficult to help someone who is not engaging.
I have the feeling that you are not entirely convinced by what has been found for you on the two forums.
If it was me, I would wait for the 1921 census to be released, it should only be about 15 months from now. See if you can find Albert on that. Hopfully he will be alive! What he says about himself, where he is living, may help you a bit more.
Jon