We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

KIRKLAND Midlands 18th century

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
TheBrewer

KIRKLAND Midlands 18th century

Post by TheBrewer »

I have a brickwall with Ambrose KIRKLAND who married Sarah JACKSON in Barlestone, Leicestershire 12 October 1769. Ambrose wasn't baptised in Barlestone or any of the surrounding villages and there is no-one with his surname in Barlestone before 1769 so where did he come from.

I know deinitively that he he IS NOT Ambrose CHETLAND from Coleshill although there are a lot of trees on line with this information - the clincher is that the Ambrose from Coleshill was literate and signed the register when he married in 1768 whereas Ambrose who married Sarah in Barlestone was illiterate and made his mark.

There is a major cluster of KIRKLAND's in Derbyshire who seem to have moved over the county boundary into Nottinghamshire and quite a bit later into the Ashby de la Zouch area but as yet I've been unable to connect any of them to "my" Ambrose.

Hopefully someone out there may have the sledgehammer to breakdown this wall
Guy

Re: KIRKLAND Midlands 18th century

Post by Guy »

FindMyPast have Ambras Heckling (of Barelstone) marrying Sarah Jackson (of Barelstone) on 12 October 1769 (register image available on their site) but even so I cannot find his baptism locally.
This might give you a further starting point.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
TheBrewer

Post by TheBrewer »

Guy

Thanks. This is as far as I have got so far

S
sdup26

Post by sdup26 »

Maybe a long shot, but there's a baptism for Ambrose Syms Kirkland, 13/7/1749, in Duffield, Derbyshire, mother Elizabeth. Duffield is 20-odd miles from Barlestone. A possible for further research?
TheBrewer

Post by TheBrewer »

I agree it's a long shot and it is the only one I've found - I am hoping sombody has had more success than me with Ambrose. DNA is just too low (distant) to confirm even the area he comes from with any certainty although there is a Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire connection with some of his matches. I just cannot link any of the trees !!!!!!!!!!